Disc Room Escape

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Dotmobo
Prole

Disc Room Escape

Post by Dotmobo »

hi guys

I made a little die and retry plateformer game for the disc room game jam! It was a fun experience!

https://dotmobo.itch.io/disc-room-escape
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Disc Room Escape

Post by ReFreezed »

Kinda cool game. Seem very inspired by Meat Boy. Here's some criticism:

The timer seem very unnecessary, especially combined with the toggling platforms since you have to wait for them, losing precious time. Also, having to restart the entire game for failing a single level is just too much of a punishment.

The movement left and right is very slippery, at least when on the ground. When you move in one direction it makes sense to slow down faster if you press the other direction - right now the character just continues forward for quite some distance.

When jumping, the speed upwards is a *lot* slower than when falling. This makes it so you have to hold down the jump button a lot of the time, which would have been a lot easier if the jump button wasn't the up arrow. You have to control everything with one hand now, which feels pretty bad.

There's also an issue with the size of the collision box of the player. I got killed by a moving saw that was diagonally one level above me.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I agree with the Physics Critique... especially the jumping part. The movement feels un-intuitive.
Dotmobo
Prole

Post by Dotmobo »

Well, thanks for playing and for feedback!

Yeah, I played with acceleration, deceleration and gravity, but the result is a little weird and experimental haha.

it's a lot easier with a gamepad than a keyboard ;).
Felix_Maxwell
Prole

Post by Felix_Maxwell »

Cool game, and kudos on getting Love.js working. Was it difficult?