What Luajit Version does Löve 11.1 use?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pragmaticus
Prole

What Luajit Version does Löve 11.1 use?

Post by pragmaticus »

What Luajit Version does Löve 11.1 use? If i precompile my lua files with Luajit 2.0.5, i'm getting following error message:

Code: Select all

Error: Syntax error: main.lua: cannot load incompatible bytecode
Update:
  • If i use Luajit 2.0.5 it works on windows, but not on my linux machine.
  • If i use Luajit 2.1.0-beta3 it works on linux, but not on my windows machine.
Last edited by pragmaticus on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: What Luajit Version does Löve 11.1 use?

Post by bartbes »

Like I said in irc:
that depends on your os, unfortunately
but last I checked desktops were on latest 2.0, phones were on the 2.1 beta
I should also mention that on linux it uses whatever your system provides, so if you have luajit 2.1.0-beta3 installed, it will use that.

As an aside, the bbcode for that list is.. odd, you want to use something like:

Code: Select all

[list]
[*] first item
[*] second item
[/list]
pragmaticus
Prole

Post by pragmaticus »

I should also mention that on linux it uses whatever your system provides, so if you have luajit 2.1.0-beta3 installed, it will use that.
That's strange, because if i'm recalling right, i got an error on linux compiling with luajit and then running my love game. Maybe I mixed something up. Anyway, i ended up not precompiling my code, in order to avoid cross-platform issues. A sideeffect is, that my plain source code will be visible to everyone who will unpack the love file.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

pragmaticus wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm A sideeffect is, that my plain source code will be visible to everyone who will unpack the love file.
And in all honesty, no one will care. If they do, it'll probably only be because they might want to learn a trick or two from it.

It's honestly easier to code your own clones from scratch than steal someone else's code base and try to understand it.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pragmaticus
Prole

Post by pragmaticus »

It's honestly easier to code your own clones from scratch than steal someone else's code base and try to understand it.
I totally agree.
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

pragmaticus wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm
That's strange, because if i'm recalling right, i got an error on linux compiling with luajit and then running my love game. Maybe I mixed something up. Anyway, i ended up not precompiling my code, in order to avoid cross-platform issues. A sideeffect is, that my plain source code will be visible to everyone who will unpack the love file.
I can't wait to steal your source code and resell it to the fbi :joker:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

xNick1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 am I can't wait to steal your source code and resell it to the fbi :joker:
You'd probably get a better deal on the russian/chinese/indian markets ;)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pragmaticus
Prole

Post by pragmaticus »

:o Can you atleast leave the backdoor intact, if you sell it.

Besieds, there can be additional reasons to precompile your code:
  • Faster loading times (i guess)
  • Hiding unfinished sourcecode
  • Not confident enough, to show your sourcecode
I read a few posts in the forum about precompiling the source code. Many people seem to be strictly against it. Is it a bad approach or something like bad behaviour?