How to setup VIM

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: How to setup VIM

Post by yetneverdone »

davisdude wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm That's weird... try `:syntax off` `:syntax on` to try and force the syntax and see if that works. I'm honestly not completely sure but it's definitely something I will try and figure out.

In the meantime, we can continue this conversation on GitHub if you like, I opened an issue.

*edit: I'm not sure how crucial it is, but try creating a directory in .vim called "after" and putting the syntax files in there and see if that does anything.
Okay i will.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Hey, thanks for pointing out that issue to me. It should be all fixed now :)
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

davisdude wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:50 pm Hey, thanks for pointing out that issue to me. It should be all fixed now :)
Umm dude? may i ask a vim-related question regarding love2d?

Im using a library called lurker, which is a hot-swapping library, but when i run

Code: Select all

:!love .
in vim, instead of the terminal staying on the vim editor, it doesnt, so i couldnt make any changes to it. Can you help me?
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

it says unknown job?
main.lua (~-Projects-Nightmare) - VIM_261.png
main.lua (~-Projects-Nightmare) - VIM_261.png (36.6 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Are you sure you put the exclamation mark in front of start? I'm not really sure what else it could be.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

davisdude wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:28 pm Are you sure you put the exclamation mark in front of start? I'm not really sure what else it could be.
Yes i did.

It's okay, theres another way on i can do this haha. maybe ill go back to sublime text for awhile
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Actually I didn't realize you're on Linux. Start is a windows command. Try putting " &" at the end of the command.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

davisdude wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm Actually I didn't realize you're on Linux. Start is a windows command. Try putting " &" at the end of the command.
Oh, okay haha sorry for not specifying.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Messing around with this today I figured something out.

If the " &" solution doesn't do the trick, this may help: the Vim "!start" command (which is different from "! start", the command which is Windows only), does NOT work the same way as the command line. In other words, if you use a shell file to run LOVE, it may not be finding it by using !start. To call from the command-line non-blocking, this is what I did (example is to run Python scripts):

Code: Select all

:!start cmd /c python %
Where "cmd /c" runs a command shell. It may be different in Linux, but that is gist of what you may end up having to do if you can't get LOVE to work. Hopefully one of these solutions works for you :)