[WIP]BeatFever Mania ~ osu! Engine reimplementation

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
DavidOliveiraSilva
Prole

Re: [WIP]BeatFever Mania ~ osu! Engine reimplementation

Post by DavidOliveiraSilva »

<3
thank you for making this possible
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

DavidOliveiraSilva wrote:<3
thank you for making this possible
No problem. :awesome:

I'm halfway through song install by drag and drop. I might have this done by afternoon i think.

@edit
New version is up. Updated the main post for you guys, since a few things changed.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Wow! Works great! I am humbled by you using my snippet.
The collisions seem to work too! Great job!
Although, it doesn't seem to exit to menu once a song is over, for now?
Will the paddle be controlled by mouse or by keyboard? And how will you handle spinners and sliders?

EDIT: Might I recommend when some sort of indication of where the next note will fall? I think it would be a bit hard to real-time calculate where to move the paddle during intense songs.
EDIT 2: Do you plan support for videos as backgrounds?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Davidobot wrote: The collisions seem to work too! Great job!
Yes.. They work... ;)
*nervous laugh*

Seriously now, collisions don't yet check X axis, only Y axis. So, whenever a note reaches the screen bottom it will get tapped. I still need to properly name each note to track it's collisions. As mentioned in the first post, ingame is still very early WIP.
Davidobot wrote:Although, it doesn't seem to exit to menu once a song is over, for now?
Will the paddle be controlled by mouse or by keyboard? And how will you handle spinners and sliders?
It's controlled by keyboard. Left and Right keys, Shift will (it still doesn't) run 2x faster so you can catch tight notes.
It doesn't exit. There is an especific logic for that to happen, since some songs end before their actual music. Besides the fact i still need to show the players their scores and save it on a list. So, yea, still long ways to go.

First, sliders:
These are usually bezier curves. The .osu files already give me control points for bezier calculation, so, getting the curve points every 20 ms or something is not a problem. Repetition logic is also not so complicated, but i'll need to refine the initial logic a bit.

As for spinners, initially i plan to generate a fixed amount of "bananas" using the ".osu" hash as a seed.
Once the entire game works, i'll start modifying it to play more solidly, since "copying" osu! game mechanics are not the focus here (by copying i mean 1:1 spinner generation, for example).

@edit1
The note fall speed is still inconsistent between screen resolutions, it's on the fixme list.
Besides, the trick on CtB is reacting fast enough to catch all notes, no matter the speed they fall.
Was that what you meant?

@edit2
Love2d currently only supports ".ogv" video format playback. So, for now, the answer is "no" due to engine limitations.
Last edited by Sulunia on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Sulunia wrote: Besides, the trick on CtB is reacting fast enough to catch all notes, no matter the speed they fall.
Was that what you meant?
I meant like a pointer on top of the screen to indicate where the next note would fall.
Sulunia wrote:Love2d currently only supports ".ogv" video format playback. So, for now, the answer is "no" due to engine limitations.
Ah, maybe in future iterations of love then.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Davidobot wrote: I meant like a pointer on top of the screen to indicate where the next note would fall.
The idea of CtB is exactly being able to react quickly to the notes falling on the screen. Thing is, the game itself is currently very barebones and broken to say the least. Just keep a lookout, i think you'l better understand the game concept as i update it.
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Quick update for the weekend:
Ingame now works. A bit barebones, but enough to keep people entertained.

Press arrow keys to move sideways, hold shift to move faster.

Game still won't quit at the end of the music. It's on the list though!

I could use some feedback on performance and any delays you guys encounter!
Segfaultd
Prole

Post by Segfaultd »

Hi everyone! I'm the other guy behind this project. Just created my account here, so sorry if I mess up on anything :o:

I'm currently creating the art assets for the game and telling Sulunia every single day to focus on the core gameplay mechanics instead of putting shaders on everything :P

I usually do the coding part, but this time I took the challenge to create the art assets; firstly to improve my skills on Inkscape, and secondly because I didn't adapt very well to the Lua programming language :cry:
The art is still pretty much work-in-progress, and I still don't know what direction it will take; but I'm trying my best to create something consistent and *shiny*. Any suggestions are welcome!

I'm not home now, but I'll try to answer any questions as soon as possible.

Thanks!
-- When I wrote those, only God and I understood what I was doing
-- Now, God only knows

local github = "https://github.com/danielpontello"
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Great work! It's pretty damn fun.
I have a suggestion: I have around 10 songs installed right now, and it's becoming a bit of a hassle to go through the song selection. Maybe you could group up a song's difficulties into one menu item, then upon selecting it, you could then pick your difficulty? Or maybe I'm just fussy..

I challenge, whoever is willing, to Reol - No title by VINXIS, Insane Difficulty.
My top scrore is 141,900. :megagrin:
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Davidobot wrote:Great work! It's pretty damn fun.
I have a suggestion: I have around 10 songs installed right now, and it's becoming a bit of a hassle to go through the song selection. Maybe you could group up a song's difficulties into one menu item, then upon selecting it, you could then pick your difficulty? Or maybe I'm just fussy..

I challenge, whoever is willing, to Reol - No title by VINXIS, Insane Difficulty.
My top scrore is 141,900. :megagrin:
Yup. I'm already facing the same issue.

More messing around with the selection screen, but i already saw that one coming. :P

Pendulum - The island[Absolution] Top score: 10.563.300