LÖVE 0.7.0 beta released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: LÖVE 0.7.0 beta released

Post by nevon »

zac352 wrote:I have a question - Are you planning a way of either writing fonts to images or rotating fonts? :neko:
What's wrong with love.graphics.print(string, x, y, r) ?
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

zac352 wrote:I have a question - Are you planning a way of either writing fonts to images or rotating fonts? :neko:
These things are covered respectively by Framebuffers for the first point; the second by extra parameters to print function (see Nevon's posting above), or using love.graphics.rotate to rotate the coordinate system. Framebuffers are new in 0.7.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

nevon wrote:
What's wrong with love.graphics.print(string, x, y, r) ?
Uh. I never saw an r in the documentation. O_O
I feel stupid: http://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.print
Hello, I am not dead.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Oh, btw, I seem to have trouble installing the .deb. It says love is already installed. I know, this is expected and logical, but I'm not getting rid of 0.6.2 yet. Should I do a self-compile and put it in my /home, or is there a simpler solution?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Unfortunately, that is the only solution (that I know of).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Dread.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

I think you can just rename the love executables and keep them around. I currently have replaced /usr/bin/love with the executable I compiled from the beta source distribution. I keep 0.6.2 around as love-0.6.2 in my $HOME/bin, and I can seemingly run both of them just fine from the command line. And supposing I did run into some trouble, I could just put the 0.6.2 executable back without having to mess with debs and stuff like that.

You get those nice icons and file associations for your desktop from the .deb, which is why it's nice to install it that way. Other than that, you just need the executable and the dynamic link libraries that it depends on somewhere on your system. Right?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Yes.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I keep copies of 0.5.0, 0.6.2, 0.6.2 (64-bit) and 0.7.0 so I can use almost any .love file I find. (Excluding certain 0.6.0 files that use the wrong image scaling)
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

Just for general Linux-folk interest, I want to add that you can manually extract any files in a .deb by using the commands ar x FILENAME.deb and tar -xzf data.tar.gz on the resulting data.tar.gz file it spits out (or some variant, depending on compression program used for the data).

You don't specifically have to use the package manager for them. They are just standard archive files in specific formats with control information for the package manager as part of the archive. When I wrote my previous message I kind of assumed everyone knew this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_%28file_format%29