Gspöt - retained GUI lib

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jack5500
Party member

Re: Gspöt - retained GUI lib

Post by Jack5500 »

I added your Gspöt fork to the Library List over on GitHub
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Pgimeno since you have your own fork maybe you can rename it and release it in its own thread. That way 1) we can get rid of the inappropriate naming scheme and 2) you would be able to have full creative control over it. Just keeping a library up to date isn't enough. There is plenty of features that probably can be added. Now of course if you don't want to add features it still probably would be best to have your own thread anyways.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I'm currently quite busy with work. When I get a chance, my plans were mainly to improve the existing features (e.g. to fix issue #2 and add clipboard support to the editor), and when I get into that, I'll probably create a new thread.

Renaming it is not in my plans (unless trubblegum asks me to). It's a single file; those who don't like the name but want to use the library in their own projects are free to rename it. The license allows that.

@Jack5500: Thanks!
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

pgimeno wrote:I'm currently quite busy with work. When I get a chance, my plans were mainly to improve the existing features (e.g. to fix issue #2 and add clipboard support to the editor), and when I get into that, I'll probably create a new thread.

Renaming it is not in my plans (unless trubblegum asks me to). It's a single file; those who don't like the name but want to use the library in their own projects are free to rename it. The license allows that.

@Jack5500: Thanks!
If I could +1 this post, you bet your buns I would. I like your viewpoint on that subject.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

pgimeno the only reason I suggested changing the name was because the Löve community previously had someone write an article about the Löve community being immature which kinda prevents more people coming to love. Especially people who may be capable of assisting with the development of love eventually. I personally don't care. And most people here don't care. But considering this framework is for people of all ages it probably would be for the best.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

I thought that Gspöt came from the german Word "Gespött" which means https://www.dict.cc/?s=Gesp%C3%B6tt
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

The first page has discussion about the name choice.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Thanks for the suggestion and the pointer. After reading in their entirety this thread, this other thread, this blog entry, this additional thread plus other threads linked from these like this with the accompanying reddit post, this other one, as well as what was made to this guy (background 1, background 2), and finding a utility called GSpot which is even worth its own Wikipedia entry, I've come to the conclusion that the name stays. Respect to the author's naming decision is in my priority list quite higher than the concerns expressed in these places.

Feel free to contribute it to https://github.com/spidyfan21/LovePG though. It seems to be in need of a GUI library.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

@pgimeno I aggree on this. It's the authors choice!

But under license restrictions everyone is free to change the name or the whole code.

Also, everyone is free to use this libraries or to implement his own libraries and name them like he wants!

From technical standpoint i hate this pure renamings and unForked clones, because they make it more complicated to track changes or maintainance of this libraries. This is very bad esp. To new users who might get an old cloned and renamed but unsupported library.
Spunky
Prole

Post by Spunky »

Edit: Hours of searching for an answer and it was my own fault lmao. love.exe was copied over itself by the cmdprompt when I made an .exe to show my friend. Woopsie!