No Motivation...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Re: No Motivation...

Post by adnzzzzZ »

You shouldn't look for motivation, for it is fleeting like the wind and it will fail you as soon as it goes away. You should look for discipline, for it is reliable and never ending in its fruitfulness like the grossly incandescent light from our glorious sun. Find your own sun and tame it.

(People who look for motivation = vampires, You = Kars)
NightKawata
Party member

Re: No Motivation?

Post by NightKawata »

TheOdyssey wrote:I actually had a problem a bit like this a while ago... and I'll tell you now that my favorite way to work is believe the game will suck and be buggy and starting any new project would yield the same results. So, as a result: if what you make is half-decent you'll start to believe in that game. (Pessimistic? Optimistic? Or a bit of both?)

But, I don't know. That's just me
EDIT: I'm also really interested to see where this "No title screen games" and "only title screen games" mashup thing goes
You would like the demoscene, heh.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

adnzzzzZ wrote:... You should look for discipline, for it is reliable and never ending in its fruitfulness like the grossly incandescent light from our glorious sun. Find your own sun and tame it.
1% inspiration and 99% perspiration :awesome:
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

kbmonkey wrote:
adnzzzzZ wrote:... You should look for discipline, for it is reliable and never ending in its fruitfulness like the grossly incandescent light from our glorious sun. Find your own sun and tame it.
1% inspiration and 99% perspiration :awesome:
10% luck, 20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure, 50% pain
And 100% reason to finish the game

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I could be in a minority here, but I think that if you grow tired of a game idea, the idea isn't good enough. I never grew tired of the idea behind Hat Cat, which is why it's now finished. The idea I'm working on now I've had for about 10 years, and the gaming industry still hasn't filled that important hole, and I just hope that doesn't happen in the next year or so :P
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I disagree with you, T-Bone. I grow tired of my ideas all the time, and that just means I need to focus my attention on something else for a while because I've been burning up my attention for that project.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I guess what's really important is learning yourself, learning how YOU work when facing challenges and when and why YOU get bored or lose motivation. People are pretty different.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I know what tanks my motivation... having too many things (read: projects of any kind) that i always think about.
It's like a system choking on too many processes, none getting any CPU time because the scheduler is what it is, and can't handle dealing with so many things at once.

My advice: Select one, the smallest one, or the one that is simplest to implement fully (without adding new ideas and after checking whether it -is- the simplest) and ONLY work on that.
Need to look something up? Don't touch any browser, that may be poison, depending on what type of person you are; if you have a short attention span, every site is like tvtropes (or wikipedia). Work on your code, or just write comments for algorithms you don't know how you'll implement yet, and when everything seems okay-ish, then consult with the löve wiki or other resources, then close them and repeat until you get a game.

At least, that's a way i'd try it.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
fleshwhiskey
Prole

Post by fleshwhiskey »

adnzzzzZ wrote:(People who look for motivation = vampires, You = Kars)
Hahaha. Thanks for the insight! I should embrace the ever growing power in my fingertips.
hello!
fleshwhiskey
Prole

Re: No Motivation?

Post by fleshwhiskey »

TheOdyssey wrote: EDIT: I'm also really interested to see where this "No title screen games" and "only title screen games" mashup thing goes
The sky's the limit!
hello!