Vapor + compat

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
bobbyjones
Party member

Vapor + compat

Post by bobbyjones »

Hello all today I am going to open up testing on a fork of Vapor I have been working on. I made a compatibility layer for 0.8.0 games and updated Vapor to 0.9.x. Most of the games work and have been tested. But I have not fully played many of them. So I'm asking y'all to play some games. Some really fun ones. A lot of fun ones lol.

Submit any issues that y'all have on this forum and in the issue tracker on my fork:
https://github.com/Bobbyjoness/vapor

Here is attached is the .love also please make suggestion for the future of Vapor.
Also just in case some of y'all don't know I'm not the original author of Vapor but I did get permission to run this test. The original author is Josefnpat and the original repo is here https://github.com/josefnpat/vapor

Edit 1: The second Vapor file fixed some games using threads. But they way I did it may introduce race conditions and ultimately can cause threads to hang if they are waiting on a package that they will never receive or whatever is happening. I was told I would have to make a mutex lock but I'm putting that off. If any of y’all would like to take a stab at it I would much appreciate it. If a game with threads freezes just restart it. Guys tell me what y'all think of the fixed cover flow
Attachments
vapor2.love
Vapor + compat + fixed cover flow
(545.11 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
vapor.love
Vapor + compat
(545.46 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by bobbyjones on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Vapor + compat

Post by qubodup »

Nice job! Seems to work for some, not for all.

In the end my pc crashed but that's an ATI Linux driver issue
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Thanks qubodup and its hard to tell. Did the first game crash?
lost_RD
Prole

Post by lost_RD »

I'm working up from the bottom. Everything up to Xapalus works. Xapalus technically works but the server seems not to be working because money never increases despite having factories.

Everything from there to TrAInsported works. TrAInsported fails to load assets properly at first-run.

Stuff works until I got to Soundscape which errors.

Snaik runs with console open, maybe change that. It also seems not to work properly, try to start a game with default settings.

I've tested up to Sienna which works well.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Thanks and the console being open is the game's fault not vapor's
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

lost_RD wrote:Everything from there to TrAInsported works. TrAInsported fails to load assets properly at first-run.
I'm pretty sure TrAInsported is using threads to load assets, which may be the issue, if you havent throughly test threads I think that may be the cause of the problem, It may be trying to load another LÖVE module, like love.filesystem and trying to use a function that has changed from 0.8.0 (ie: love.filesystem.enumerate)... But even then I'm just guessing!

Keep it up I'm sure you can do it :awesome:
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

If you run trainsported multiple time it will eventually power through.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

bobbyjones wrote:Thanks qubodup and its hard to tell. Did the first game crash?
I'm pretty sure it crashed when I confirmed wanting to exit.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)