ZeroBrane and Windows 8

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Alnaumov
Prole

ZeroBrane and Windows 8

Post by Alnaumov »

Can't make my IDE work.

What have I done:
- downloaded love2d and put into the Program Files folder
- changed the compiler to love2d

but this is what I get. What do I do wrong?

It seems that the IDE can't find the compiler.
Attachments
the error mesage
the error mesage
error.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Duster
Prole

Re: ZeroBrane and Windows 8

Post by Duster »

What code are you trying to run, if you don't mind?
Skeiks
Citizen

Post by Skeiks »

If I'm not mistaken in ZeroBrane you can set the location of the compiler. I think it looks to C:/ProgramFiles/Love

I was having errors similiar to yours when I first started using the ZeroBrane and it turned out that when I installed love it was installed to C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/Love as opposed to C:/ProgramFiles/Love. Could that be the problem?
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

@Alnaumov, the result is a bit strange; by looking at the error is seems like your love2d script can't find the debugger, but it doesn't even check ZeroBrane Studio folders. I'd expect to get something like this if you add "require('mobdebug').start()" to your script, but start this script outside of ZBS, in which case mobdebug.lua module will not be found.

When you start (Run or Debug) love2d application from ZBS, it will setup LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH in a way that allows the application to find modules shipped with ZBS that may be needed for debugging. (This is rarely needed, but If you need to start the application on your own (outside of ZBS), you need to provide that setup yourself. In the case of love2d you only need to reference mobdebug.lua as it already includes luasocket.)

In terms of the search for love executable, ZBS actually checks both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" (on both C: and D: disks), but it only checks for love\ folder (for example, C:\Program Files\love\love.exe), so if you call the folder love2d, it won't find it by default (then you can set path.love2d to specify the executable).

If this still doesn't help with your issue, try running those love2d applications that are bundled with ZeroBraneStudioEduPack and see if you can get those to work. Paul.
Alnaumov
Prole

Post by Alnaumov »

The strange thing is that I deleted this part:

function love.load(arg)
if arg[#arg] == "-debug" then require("mobdebug").start() end
end

And now everything works just fine. Why can't it find the debugger?
Can I work without one?
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

> And now everything works just fine. Why can't it find the debugger?

If you start this love application from ZBS, it should find the debugger. How do you start it?

> Can I work without one?

Yes, you just won't be able to debug the script using the debugging capabilities that ZBS provides (stepping, breakpoints, stack/watch/console panels, and so on).
Alnaumov
Prole

Post by Alnaumov »

I launch ZeroBrane, then go to projects, then open the "hello world" project from the lessons section.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Alnaumov wrote:I launch ZeroBrane, then go to projects, then open the "hello world" project from the lessons section.
You then open main.lua, go to "Project | Project Directory | Set from current file", then go to "Project | Lua Interpreter | Love2d", and then do "Start Debugging"/F5, right?