So you have a crappy computer

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: So you have a crappy computer

Post by Jasoco »

It's not so much crappy computer as it is unfortunate video card. Don't blame the computer. Some can't handle images that are 2048 pixels wide. You got something for that? ;)
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Oh, cool! Maybe I'll use this instead of telling my graphics artist to make everything po2.
Good bye.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Luiji wrote:Oh, cool! Maybe I'll use this instead of telling my graphics artist to make everything po2.
Watch out if you ever use Image:getWidth() etc.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It's better to make your art with this in mind then hack stuff in afterwards.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:
Luiji wrote:Oh, cool! Maybe I'll use this instead of telling my graphics artist to make everything po2.
Watch out if you ever use Image:getWidth() etc.
You always have to watch out with those when using padding of any kind. If I knew of an elegant solution, I make unlove to would store the original size somewhere and make getWidth() etc. return the original.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

Besides having a limited graphics card, you might also suffer from limited driver support. You might want to check that your drivers are up to date. I've seen with my own very eyes ( :shock: ) how a slightly older graphics card wouldn't make npot images show properly with the default drivers, but with certain effort you could install a newer set of drivers that did allow them. (As to why the card manufacturers would do this, I have no idea. Perhaps they like DirectX too much?)

There are a lot of programs that allow you to query your card + OS combo's support for various OpenGL features. I've used GLEW myself. It is really a library, but it comes with a couple of command line tools you can download[1] that just print a whole lot of stuff, but the useful thing is the supported OpenGL version at the beginning. If it's lower than what your card's specs promise, this is probably because of outdated drivers.

(Linux users of course have the glxinfo command too.)

It's quite unfortunate how many of the demos that come at least with the Windows version of LÖVE use npot2 images. That kind of thing could give someone a bad first impression, you know...

[1] http://glew.sourceforge.net/
Benamas
Prole

Post by Benamas »

pekka wrote:It's quite unfortunate how many of the demos that come at least with the Windows version of LÖVE use npot2 images. That kind of thing could give someone a bad first impression, you know...
YES THIS EXACTLY, HAPPENED TO ME

I have a new PC now so it's moot but it was very mysterious and confusing at first
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That too.

Question is, how can one test for that?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Split the topic, look for it in general.

EDIT: And phpbb messed up.. well, half of the discussion is there.