Idea: Project Lovechild

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Good idea?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes! And I will contribute!
29%
Yes.
36%
Meh. Kids don't need it.
36%
Meh. I don't want kids here.
No votes

Total votes: 14

snake
Citizen

Re: Idea: Project Lovechild

Post by snake »

willurd wrote: For sure. Whether or not we use the browser LOVE thing, something like http://tryruby.org/ would totally be awesome for the site. We could make a browser lua/LOVE widget and then throw a bunch of these interactive tutorials up for various things. I personally found tryruby an excellent resource when I was diving into ruby. The conversational tone along with the interactivity of it (it's like the lua repl, but with someone guiding you along the way, telling you what you can do) made it not such a drag to use.
Now you know why my Project Thread is called "Try Love in your Browser".
I always found tryruby an awesome way learning an language so yeah we should go for it.
(But this has not high priority for me at the moment, first is making Love Alchemy usable)
willurd
Citizen

Post by willurd »

zachwlewis wrote:I actually use ActionScript and UnrealScript to develop and implement UI for video games. I never touch the timeline. It's dumb.
ActionScript is dope. There's something oddly appealing about ECMAScript languages :P But enough about that heresy. This is a LOVE forum! :D
zachwlewis wrote:I agree, but I think the first thing to do is to get some stuff written and put it out there. Then, we can always "build" on the community, but without content, there's no community.
Definitely, it was more of an idea for the future. Just riffing on the idea of this site, which I like very much.
snake wrote:Now you know why my Project Thread is called "Try Love in your Browser".
I always found tryruby an awesome way learning an language so yeah we should go for it.
(But this has not high priority for me at the moment, first is making Love Alchemy usable)
Just tried the lua-alchemy demo. It's pretty awesome.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

A brain-dump of my ideas file:
## Characters
* Bob/Böb: novice game maker, floating head guy
* The Wizard: wise, Merlin-style wizard, teaching B[oö]b and the children how to make games
* Pete the Snake: bad guy, main cause of conflict.
## Language
Multiple. Other languages are “forks” of English.
## For Teachers
-> link at the top of the page, leading to a page for teachers, explaining benefits and giving examples of educative uses.
## Style
### Graphics style

LÖVE-like, but less childish. Children with the targeting age will not like anything deemed to childish.
### Language style
Accessible, joking, but not punny. A poop joke once in a while is OK, but caution must be excersized if we want adults to allow their children/pupils to use it.
There should be a central theme to each course, and it all has to fit inside the main story line.
Note that no knowledge can be assumed, not even what we would call basic computer knowledge.
### Code style
Clear, well-commented (thus have to be i18ned, variable names etc as well).
Efficiency is always sacrificed for readability.
Indentation, variable naming and other “smaller” aspects of code need to be completely concistent, even across different .lua files and languages.
Every code file ends with a few commented questions for the pupil, to explain how function x works, how function y could be expanded to change the background color when the player clicks inside the window.
### Page style
Every page should have a large, readable font (and only one for the whole site). Color scheme is also consistent site-wide. CSS > HTML for this purpose.
## Teaching strategy
Theoretical things meshed with practical things.
### Theory
Explain by analogy: a program is like a receipe, an array is a train, etc.
They are illustrated by images (see “Graphics style”) and .loves (see “Code style”).
Understanding of theory is tested by short pop quiz, using multiple choice whenever possible, to ensure no human intervention is needed. Not unlike a Towlr, the pupil is rewarded by praise upon succes. Upon failure to answer all questions correctly, the pupil is encouraged by the page to start learning the course again.
### Practice
Small, modular assignments. A “possible solution” file should always be included.
Assets (images, sounds...) are included, if needed. Assets should _not_ include language, to reduce the amount of translating (which can be rather difficult for assets, unlike text).
Machinated checking is virtually impossible here.
## Access
All pages should be accessible by anyone at all times. However, kids could register, to be able to keep progress. When logged in and viewing a page that is too advanced, the page should display a non-intrusive warning at the beginning of the page.
## Levels
By completing courses, children increase their Level. This gives them a chance to boast, and look foreward to learning more skills.
## Story Organisation
The courses are primarily organized in Chapters. Chapters are story-driven, and each one ends with a small cliffhanger. Chapters are subdivided into Slices, which are ordered per theme. Each Slice contains several courses.
Commentary requested. :P

Note: I think this project needs mostly artists and writers. Any volunteers? (Nothing “binding” or anything, just a quick gauge of the community.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
zachwlewis
Citizen

Post by zachwlewis »

So... this is a story-torial? I thought you were just looking for child-accessible tutorials.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

zachwlewis wrote:So... this is a story-torial? I thought you were just looking for child-accessible tutorials.
Well, yeah. But these are just my ideas to make it child-accessible.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

On the subject of "children-programming-games", I've found Stencyl. I doubt it is ever going to be half as awesome as LÖVE, but still worth taking a look to it.

It is a private beta for now.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Interesting. Especially the sharing part. We would want to add such features to lovechild.