Automatic nightly builds with Gitlab CI

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
JuanjoSalvador
Prole

Automatic nightly builds with Gitlab CI

Post by JuanjoSalvador »

Hi folks!

On my two last gamejams I learned something really useful: using a version control system could help your team a lot, even if you're next of each others. That's why we started to use Gitlab (also Gitea on my own local network and server, but this is another story). This makes our working flow so easier, but at this point, I realized that we also need something to automate the builds, I mean, everytime we push some changes, we need to download, build, run and test manually. And this is not so cool.

So I wrote an example of gitlab-ci.yml file to use Gitlab's CI service with Löve2D and build your game.

Code: Select all

image: "alpine"

before_script:
    - apk add zip

build_game:
    script:
        - zip -r YourGame.love ./*

artifacts:
        paths:
            - YourGame-nightly.love
        expire_in: 1 week
Simple, uh? These will create a new .love file everytime you push to your development/master branch and make the result file available to download from Gitlab's CI artifacts. You can also add testing tasks, code review, or whatever you need!

I'm looking for the same for Github and TravisCI, but I didn't found anything yet :(
itch.io profile - When I'm uploading my works and devblogs
GitHub - All my code is here!
Horchata - A set of Lua modules I wrote to make some task easier