Color-Picker for Love

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
YoungNeer
Party member

Re: Color-Picker for Love

Post by YoungNeer »

sphyrth wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:17 pm My, my. And here I was oblivious to these things happening while I was daily checking up on the forums.
Well what do you mean by that?? My library or my clash with zorg
My Github- your contribution is highly appreciated
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Just the activity you created within the forums in general. At first it was just the Libraries. Now, it's also in the General Topics.

Since I'm here, I want you to consider the other things on why the Forums are "inactive" people already mentioned the biggest ones, namely
(a) people moving on (to life in general, or other projects with bigger engines).
(b) Discord is more active

But there are more:
1. Love2D isn't as "immature" as it was a few years ago. There was a time when bugs, feature suggestions, etc. were quite abundant. That's a factor for the Forums being active... that's not usually the case anymore. Love2D has come a long way.

2. Good Libraries were still being written, and/or were not getting enough exposure. Things that Anim8, Bump, LoveSocket (or a Network Library that has slipped my mind), etc. have solved were still being searched for by new forum members. Now, they're easily recommended by the Love2D Libraries category. Very little need to ask in the Forums.

3. Youtube Tutorials were still in the works. Where do you go when there were not enough Love2D tuts? Go to the forums. Nowadays, there are plenty... in fact I think it's overloaded by now. So going to the forums is more of a "Here's a game I made." thing.
IDoLua
Prole

Post by IDoLua »

I've got to say that this entire color picker scheme is... for lack of better words, retarded.
Sure, it helps about 0.2% of people that can't google a color name and take the RGB percentages and move the decimal a bit, then put it into a love function they previously locally defined, but that's the point I guess.
I started with lua in a basement moving servos on a jerryrigged single board computer.
Moved to Roblox in 2011.
Now I'm on to Love2D to write more advanced 2D games rather than 3D.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

sphyrth wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm ... going to the forums is more of a "Here's a game I made." thing.
Even though that is the case you can't deny that veterans are slowly moving away from the community. Even though some like kikito and yonaba are still fairly active yet they hardly make any posts nowadays (so in that sense they are inactive) And the reason why I personally feel this is because I PMed some party members (almost a week ago) about some problems that I encountered in their libraries and I still haven't got any reply from them (in fact most of them haven't been active for like 3 months)

But as you pointed out the discord is pretty active and maybe that is what is sucking users from this forum. (Just my theory)
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

IDoLua wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:04 am I've got to say that this entire color picker scheme is... for lack of better words, retarded.
Sure, it helps about 0.2% of people that can't google a color name and take the RGB percentages and move the decimal a bit, then put it into a love function they previously locally defined, but that's the point I guess.
I am one of those 0.2 percent people I think :crazy:
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Zorg already said that people are active over at discord. People can easily ask for help and support there, and they get replies easily compared to the forums. That's a fact.

Yonaba and kikitp have work and career that keep them busy. Also, you can contact them via other media. Pm-ing them here is not gonna get their attention. Kikito's really busy even in github he's not active anymore.
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

yetneverdone wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 am Zorg already said that people are active over at discord. People can easily ask for help and support there, and they get replies easily compared to the forums. That's a fact.

Yonaba and kikitp have work and career that keep them busy. Also, you can contact them via other media. Pm-ing them here is not gonna get their attention. Kikito's really busy even in github he's not active anymore.
Yeah maybe you are right!

But BTW I have never PMed kikito and yonaba :roll: . I PMed UlyDev because I coudn't get his push library to work with my autoCursor library or to be more specific love.mouse.setPosition doesn't fit with push. I first replied to him in the forums and then I pmed him but he's inactive for quite some time now (i don't know why)
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

IDoLua wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:04 am I've got to say that this entire color picker scheme is... for lack of better words, retarded.
A color picker is not a retarded idea, don't call others retarded, it's albleism and it's a crime. I believe an IDE extension would be better suited to implement that, like for CSS colors. It could even be very usefull if you develop with auto-hotswapping (lurker etc...).
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

YoungNeer wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 amEven though that is the case you can't deny that veterans are slowly moving away from the community.
My interpretation is that many of the people who were very active in past were in their college days, which gave them some spare time, but once real life stroke them, they had to give up some hobbies, and this is one of those hobbies. I know positively that that's the case of one of the people you've mentioned, as he explicitly said that. [ETA:] This means that people keep renewing as they discover LÖVE and join the community, and at some point most of them will probably leave as well.

As for myself, I work at home, so you can see me trying to give support at least every few days (often more frequently) ever since I joined except for about one year when the forum stopped working for me until I migrated my system. I will probably probably keep doing it for quite some more time.

Out of curiosity, what's the situation that allows you to post so often?
YoungNeer
Party member

Post by YoungNeer »

pgimeno wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 pm Out of curiosity, what's the situation that allows you to post so often?
I am currently on my vacation. So i have PLENTY OF TIME. :ultrahappy: