DSO - Darksun Online

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Baylek Swiftbite
Prole

DSO - Darksun Online

Post by Baylek Swiftbite »

Good evening!

My name is Max Jackson, I am known as Baylek Swiftbite on the darksun online forums. I am one of the developers bringing back an old classic MMORPG (and one of the first available on a large scale). Our lead programmer as well as co-administrator has directed our attention at this project. We have been working on a multitude of tools as well as documentation for the last few years now for our project and have been also working on a Java based client, but we also wanted a mainstream combination C and Lua client. This project looks great and would be wonderful to implement towards our need!

Our project is of course 'open source' with a few withholdings for such things as game content and other things that might compromise our server. I am guessing that the other devs will be heavily contributing to your engine as our development progresses and hope to be of great help to you on your road to success!

Our main can be found at http://www.darksunworld.com but at the moment we are experiencing some issues with our forums so please hold off on registration until repairs are made. I look forward to working together with the LOVE development community!!

Max Jackson
"Baylek Swiftbite"
DSO Dev Co-Administrator
http://www.darksunworld.com
Last edited by Baylek Swiftbite on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darksun Online : Age of Heroes
www.darksunworld.com
DSO Administrator
"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind? Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
mike
Administrator

Re: DSO - Darksun Online

Post by mike »

What does this have to do with LÖVE?

[edit] PS: 2nd edition rules??? Welcome to the 21st century!
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It looks like they want to use it as a base for their client, however, following that idea, I think they're going to modify it a lot.. So, I don't know if the changes would be useful for LÖVE?
Baylek Swiftbite
Prole

As stated above,

We would like to use your engine for our client :megagrin:

We have worked with other development groups in the past, what we would do is discuss the changes or additions to the source we will be making. We then will provide the modifications to the LOVE development team so that they can decide if it would be of use to them and possibly even assist in any development requests made by the LOVE dev team as well as the LOVE community.
Last edited by Baylek Swiftbite on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.darksunworld.com
DSO Administrator
"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind? Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
Baylek Swiftbite
Prole

the reason our game mechanics are using what can be labeled as second edition rules is because 'Dark Sun' had its own modified rules, consider them to be 2.8. The reason for this modification was due to the lethal nature of the world as well as the extremely different play style for this campaign setting. Psionics for example are implemented much in the same way standard melee is achieved; piece meal armor (sectional) is also implemented on a greater scale. The rules for magic are extremely uncommon for RP campaigning and so on.

Our server also will be using a completely new combat system to replace the old 'Dark Sun' combat rules since we had to find a way adjust for MMORPG playing styles.

EDIT : BTW I saw that video before hahaha awesome!
www.darksunworld.com
DSO Administrator
PauloftheWest
Prole

Post by PauloftheWest »

Hey guys, I'm the head developer for DSO.

Baylek sometimes gets ahead of himself... (Bad Baylek!)

Anyways, I've been looking into LÖVE and liking what I see so far. Why? Well, currently we have a Java client that is mainly a prototype/pilot and has become a bit of a mess. Being a pilot, the Java client was always meant to be replaced by a "cleaner" client that uses hardware support through something like OpenGL or whatever. Now, in the prototype we have an intermediate language (LUA) that is used to allow script-ers to help. (We have many people that can write scripts, but have problems writing in C/JAVA/C#/etc... So, the intermediate language was developed to allow more people to contribute.)

As you may have guessed, the intermediate language looks very similar to LÖVE. So, since you all have a decent amount of work done using OpenGL, that would help jump start the cleaner client. Furthermore, we have a decent amount of work written in C. Since LÖVE uses Lua, we can just put all the C code into a shared Library and call it from LÖVE.

Anyways, I'm still looking into it, but LÖVE looks pretty good!

~PauloftheWest
~less think, more do
Baylek Swiftbite
Prole

Ya I do jump the gun, but yes so far from what I have seen LOVE looks great. PauloftheWest is also Co-Administrator of the project and is not just our lead developer.
www.darksunworld.com
DSO Administrator
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

We'll see, since we are nice people :ehem:, we will respond to questions, remarks, etc. Provided we are available, of course.

Either way, even if we didn't approve it (which we do, or at least AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong) we couldn't stop you, so... if you want, let the coding commence.
But, since you are a little fast :P, I guess we'll hear a definitive answer soon?
PauloftheWest
Prole

Post by PauloftheWest »

We will see, I just started looking into different tools yesterday. Although, I've known about LÖVE for awhile. ... Man that is a bad pun.

I really like the cross-platform characteristic of the library.

~PauloftheWest
~less think, more do