1K Terminal challenge

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
ivan
Party member

Re: 1K Terminal challange

Post by ivan »

The fun part of the challenge is to figure out how to write text on the screen without depending on external assets. :)
I thought this was obvious, but very well, I'll adjust the description.

Edit: an argument could be made about using love.graphics.newImageFont( image, glyphs ) so I suppose print/printf would be ok in the latter case
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Ortimh wrote:It's so hard. I couldn't do it. I use your code, optimize it a bit, and now can use right shift for caps, with 3 bytes in extra (1,528 bytes).

Code: Select all

F=(" 66 __ ` 66?c6f_ 0 63<_   6?n ÿ? ?   0; <_ _ 6?f3 f   6cn _ _______ 8??_ 3+<+3_ 3;0060+?0?30> 0700330_?3+0+3  ??0 _____ __>?<?<3xgcccff6FFf30fwg6{3ff306oc{3>f?0k{c{?ffs336Fcsc3ff6Ff33ffcc63?<?|3gcc________???+cc3 f3f3-+cc+ f3f+c636 >3>+kc ;8+6F0_633wcc`_8g?cc@________ ÿ  8  _   0 6 __ >0n6f7 0f3>33n6+ >f3?3fk+ 3f+>f6c+ n=n0ggc3___ _____ ___8n_____;;n>>+cc3? 6f36+c63 8 cf36+k3 c>>0,36>& c0n6c0?8 x___ ___"):gsub("_","  "):gsub("+","33")O=""for a=1,#F do b=F:byte(a)for j=1,8 do h=b%2 O=O..(h>0 and"ÿÿÿÿ"or"   y")b=(b-h)/2 end end L=love G=L.graphics K=L.keyboard.isScancodeDown I=G.newImage(L.image.newImageData(128,48,O)) Q={}for c=0,5 do for f=0,15 do Q[#Q+1]=G.newQuad(f*8,c*8,8,8,128,48) end end function W(g,f,c) for a=1,#g do b=g:byte(a)-31 if Q[b]then G.draw(I,Q[b],f+(a-1)*8,c)else W(g:sub(a+1),f,c+8)break end end end O=""function L.draw()W(O.."_",0,0)end function print(i)O=O.."\n"..tostring(i)end Z='~!@#$%^&*()_+|{}:"<>?'z="`1234567890-=\\[];',./"function L.keypressed(k)k=k:gsub("space"," ")if k=="back "then O=O:sub(1,-2)elseif k=="return"then e=O:match("[^\n]-$")r,t=pcall(loadstring(e))O=O.."\n"..(t or"").."\n"elseif#k<2 then if K('lshift')or K('rshift') then j=z:find(k,1,true)k=(j and Z:sub(j,j)or k):upper()end O=O..k end end
The code doesn't work, I'm getting the same error as DeltaF1"The size of the raw byte string must match the imageData's actual size in bytes.".
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Ranguna259 wrote:The code doesn't work, I'm getting the same error as DeltaF1"The size of the raw byte string must match the imageData's actual size in bytes.".
Keep in mind that the code contains controls characters so it must be saved as ANSI.
Alternatively, just run the .love file provided in earlier posts.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Oh baby. I spent a day playing Cards against Humanity, but I was secretly thinking about this and launched into it this morning. My trick here is I use a 3x5 font I stole from the dwarf fortress wiki, rather than the 8x8 font. So, sorry for everyone that has to squint while looking at my terminal window. The version in the love zip file I'm uploading isn't minified, in case anyone wants to try and improve on my methods. Here's the final minified version:

Edit: From here on out this is version 2 after ivan points out my bug.

Z=[[Qa9^c&&NDEBYO.&McCQARQ:)9SLccXc\ccS?Y26FIQDO*@A@&?T@PJN<MQNN9=aaaSKBYA++[AY@a)6*94FFFUZE6FTX$JZU65&6LQ<?N68VZ*&464696IFZ9&EF6U<(QQ6646N6$6N66Q)O*MQUR?PQP^cccDacc5TJFcU=/.cD=)Q+.TJ6aPQSIZFNQQc$^K6c9a8X3._KZcM`)1c6\;Nc&\;9;NbPJMPMaQPM8ac]]T=table;F=math.floor;M=Z.gmatch;B=Z.byte;L=love;G=L.graphics;R=G.rectangle;O={}S={""}i=495;for a in M(Z,'.')do p,b=1,99-B(a)while p<64 do O[i]=F(b/p)%2>0;p,i=p*2,i+1 end end;A=function(a)S[1]=a and S[1]..a or S[1]:sub(1,#S[1]-1)end;L.draw=function()H=G.getHeight()/2;G.scale(2,2)A'_'for c=1,#S do X=0;for a in M(S[c],'.')do if a=='\t'then X=F(X/8)*8+8 else for i=0,14 do if O[B(a)*15+i]then R('fill',X*4+i%3,(F(H/6)-c)*6+F(i/3),1,1)end end;X=X+1 end end end;A()end;L.textinput=A;print=function(...)T.insert(S,1,T.concat({...},'\t'))end;L.keypressed=function(d)d=d:sub(1,3)if d=="ret"or d=="kpe"then o,r=pcall(loadstring,S[1])if o then o,r=pcall(r)end;print(r)print''elseif d=="bac"and#S[1]>0 then A()elseif d=="tab"then A'\t'end end
973 Bytes. (bumps right against 1024ish if you include the conf.lua file for resizable windows)

Here's the feature list I achieved:
- typed input via the keyboard
- execute commands by pressing enter
- delete characters via backspace
- embedded font string
- print command (with tabs between parameters in output)
- tab key works
- outputs errors on the screen (v2 fix shows both kinds of errors now)
- upper and lowercase, caps
- shift modifier (love.textinput gave me this one for free)
- numeric keypad (kp_enter)
- a cursor (underscore character to indicate your prompt on the bottom line)

Also my drop the mic image, I'll leave the link but i think I lost to privilege of dropping the mic after picking it back up.
https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/lxLhfNl.gif
Attachments
terminal_challenge_inny_v2.love
Version 2
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
terminal_challenge_inny.love
got the space-backspace bug
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Last edited by Inny on Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Well done, Inny, I like your version more than mine.
textinput is a good idea too, I might steal that.
A small suggestion: pressing the spacebar deletes the last character (not sure if this is omitted intentionality).
But yea, very well done.

PS. I was thinking about doing vector fonts using love.graphics.line,
just wasn't clever enough to come up with a good way to compress the glyphs.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

ivan wrote:pressing the spacebar deletes the last character
Whoops, that slipped through my testing. I'll fix it and just edit my other post.
hatninja
Prole

Post by hatninja »

So i made a new version from my first entry. Now it uses a personally modified 3x4 font and a much more paste-friendly string. It is essentially a complete shrink of inny's terminal.
1.5 - 849 Bytes

B4JH"Z 4 X "+T=N67QWS.-Y\?4_Y:=^590004"B''"*Q"5C5]VN<CUN^G\T<KM]Z7)JMUDGO]OM5JUT5KUU<>Z2MOMJM_JMM2YW:3F9R65  'B #OFN#C+K'S*Z]?DU0206EU21']&M"J'\'Y&D#673%O%J%_%5%4RF:S22R>S ]],".")do X=B(b)-32;for a=5,0,-1 do T[J+a]=X%2;X=(X-X%2)/2 end;J=J+6 end;function N(c)table.insert(G,1,tostring(c))end;print=N;function L.draw()for d=0,#G do X=0;for b in M(G[d]or C,".")do if B(b)>32 then for a=0,11 do if T[(B(b)-33)*12+a]>0 then L.graphics.rectangle("fill",X+a%3*2,d*12+math.floor(a/3)*2,2,2)end end end;X=X+8 end end end;function L.textinput(b)C=C..b end;N"G={} - Clear Log"function L.keypressed(e)if e=="backspace"then C=C:sub(1,-2)elseif e=="return"and#C>0 then O,R=loadstring(C)if O then O,R=pcall(O)X=O or N(R)else N(R)end;C=""end end
I also have a version with a complete bit string, which uses 50 bytes less!
Attachments
1k_3x4_terminal.love
1.5 (799 Byte version.)
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
1k_terminal_hatninja.love
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Modified airstruck's solution to not break the "-do not use [...] love's default embedded font" rule.

local buffer = ''

function love.textinput (text)
    buffer = buffer .. text
end

function love.keypressed (key)
    if key == 'backspace' then
        buffer = buffer:gsub('.$', '')
    elseif key == 'return' then
        io.execute(buffer)
        buffer = ''
    end
end
The rules don't require any type of visual feedback. ;)

EDIT: wow, I've been absent on this forum for longer than I realised... sorry for necroposting everyone.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
raidho36
Party member

Re: 1K Terminal challenge

Post by raidho36 »

Came here to tell that minifying and mangling the source is not how you do this. What you should be doing is generating and loading bytecode.
hatninja
Prole

Post by hatninja »

Robin wrote:EDIT: wow, I've been absent on this forum for longer than I realised... sorry for necroposting everyone.
Thats alright, i actually wish these kinds of challenges went on for longer!
It was a pretty clever solution, albeit a little lame. :P