General Purpose Grid Editor - it edits levels

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Tesselode
Party member

Re: General Purpose Grid Editor - it edits levels

Post by Tesselode »

Jasoco wrote:Looks pretty good. As someone who is also working on his own editors (Script editor right now but man, you should see my level editor) I really like how simple but still feature-ful yours is. The animations add a nice touch. (I use animations myself.) Yours even has features I haven't even implemented yet but planned to. I've just been lazy. lol

I'd been planning on showing off what I've done so far but am so anal retentive about the presentation that I don't want to until it has everything I want to show off first.

Do you have a game in place as well? Or just an editor?
It's just an editor. I will be using it for my game prototypes, though. Gotta eat your own dog food.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Just thought I'd leave a quick update: I'm been doing work on this in the past few days, although a lot of changes are just for code cleanliness. But the two notable user facing changes are:
  • You can change the grid snap!
  • Geometry layers now export a list of rectangles, instead of individual 1x1 blocks.
I'm going to work on making the editor more usable in general, and I think making it embeddable in games would be a pretty cool thing, so I'll be playing around with that.
Drakkahn
Prole

Post by Drakkahn »

This looks really nice. Also it would be cool if people (like me) could make custom save functions for their own tile map classes.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Drakkahn wrote:This looks really nice. Also it would be cool if people (like me) could make custom save functions for their own tile map classes.
You can if you hack the code! But, admittedly, there's not a really nice, modular way to define your own layer types yet. I'll work on that!
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Hey all! I just added some documentation of how the code works, so hopefully that'll make it a little easier to customize the code. I'm still thinking about how I can make the editor embeddable. I started getting sidetracked trying to rebuild this from scratch with separate libraries for data and GUI, but that turned out to be over the top and unnecessary. So, yeah, I haven't made any big changes.

Anyway, please let me know how I can make this better! I want this to be something anybody can customize to suit their game's needs.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I missed the wiki and now it's gone :(
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

hi, i did some repo re-organization. you can still find the code here: https://github.com/tesselode/gpgp-love- ... ns/tree/i1

i don't think i backed up the wiki though, sorry!