[tool] LoveToAndroid - .love to .apk without thinking

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
knuxyl
Citizen

Re: [tool] LoveToAndroid - .love to .apk without thinking

Post by knuxyl »

I was getting java exceptions like crazy and qubodup's solution worked for me.
OS = linux
ARCH = x64
I downloaded jdk-8u102-OSARCHH.tar.gz and StartGamedev-160804-OS.zip
Extracted jdk-8u102-linux-ARCH.tar.gz and StartGamedev-160804-OS.zip
Deleted everything in StartGamedev-160804-OS/tools/jdk-OSARCH
Copied everything in jdk-8u102-OSARCHH/ to StartGamedev-160804-OS/tools/jdk-OSARCH
Running ./make-apk now works without any errors. Thank you
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

Hey @qubodup I've got a new doubt. As I said before, your tool works great, but even it's not the fault of your LoveToAndroid but is of love-android-sdl2, the games are stuck in landscape mode. Is there any possibility of setting the game to portrait mode from your tool?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

scissors61 wrote:Is there any possibility of setting the game to portrait mode from your tool?
Sure! It's an Android thing.

In tools/love-android-sdl2/original/AndroidManifest.xml replace "Landscape" with "Portrait".
Last edited by qubodup on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

I've just tried, but after using ./make-apk.sh the resulting apk is in landscape and AndroidManifest goes back too to landscape.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I'm sorry, I forgot that the scripts overwrite that file. The file you have to change is
tools/love-android-sdl2/original/AndroidManifest.xml
(I updated the above post)
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

That's it. It's perfect now. Thanks!
laperen
Prole

Post by laperen »

is there any way to allow the game to run in the background of the device? or have i missed some functionality to allow this?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It's strongly discouraged to make your game run in background, for any reason, ever. You basically should never do this. It only drains the battery while the user doesn't even interact with it. Games made in GameMaker offer no such option altogether, the manual explicitly states that the game will just hibernate and may be shut down immediately afterwards too. I think Unity does something similar, so does LÖVE Android app it appears. And even then, many phones nowdays have power management options that flat out prevent apps from running in background sans select few exceptions. Surely enough if your game requires user interaction, having it run in background and screw everything up while the user doesn't have a chance to do anything about it is just cruel and shouldn't be done like this, just pause the game instead. If it doesn't requires interaction and just requires waiting, then there's no reason why it should run at all, you can simply save the timestamp immediately before hibernation and then grab a new timestamp immediately after wake up, this way you'll know how much time elapsed and you can do all the calculations offline post-factum.

So that's the long answer. Short answer: no, and please don't.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

laperen wrote:is there any way to allow the game to run in the background of the device? or have i missed some functionality to allow this?
Unfortunately I can't help with that. This might require writing Java or perhaps this thread is enough:
You should use love.focus for that. The current version currently has some issues about android and background though, they'll be fixed in 0.10.1.
raidho36 wrote:just pause the game instead
That's probably what they meant. If I remember correctly, if you go to the home screen now and then return to the game, it will restart. [EDIT: thanks for clarifying in post below]
Last edited by qubodup on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

No it doesn't restart, it resumes execution from cache as if it never halted. If you however return to home screen and launch the app from the icon, it will restart.