An idea: Löve me

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Robin
The Omniscient

An idea: Löve me

Post by Robin »

While I was away this weekend, I had an idea: a program (some sort of package manager/file starter) for .love-files.

I would like to know your opinion on this matter. So what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Been done before?

EDIT: Implemented (and it is way cooler than the mock-up). Check my last post for the latest version.
Attachments
A mock-up
A mock-up
lovememockup.png (11.17 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Last edited by Robin on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
mike
Administrator

Re: An idea: Löve me

Post by mike »

How about "Hot-n-Steamy"? A program that connects to a p2p network of distributed LÖVE games where you can browse the different projects available on other people's computers and share your own. You would be able to download whichever ones you want and play them to your hearts content alongside providing ratings and comments. This would all be centered around a community and chat function (IRC client built into the program perhaps) where people could talk about LÖVE.

Get cracking ;)
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That would be awesome. But I think I'll make it simple at first. ;)

Also: Hot-n-Steamy sounds good, although I'm not sure whether I want it to sound like a Steam-ripp-off. :roll:
ljdp
Party member

Post by ljdp »

How about Smöke 8-)

(I do not encourage smoking ._.)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

How about "Äll you need"? :rofl:
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

As long as you can choose what you share, I'd hate to be downloading or uploading half-finished developer-only games. But is sounds like a good idea.. not the first time anyone's had it though, but you'll be the first to start working on it, no pressure (YES, FINISH IT! NOW!).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:As long as you can choose what you share, I'd hate to be downloading or uploading half-finished developer-only games.
Oh, I'm thinking of making it a relatively exclusive list. I've yet to figure out a way to have an online, updatable list. For the time being, I've made a simple wxPython app that uses a local list.

Note: this program requires Python and wxPython. For Windows users, I could run it through py2exe, but I prefer to avoid that hassle if not necessary.

It also writes to ./, so you probably want to put it somewhere you have writing rights to.

It also seems LÖVE needs to know it's own path or something, so on the first startup Löve Me (I'll call it that until I find a better name :P) asks for the path to LÖVE.

Lastly: currently, only two games are on the list (Jump Game and Collision Field). They are downloaded from forum attachments, so they're not guaranteed to be valid. If you want to add other games to the list: it's stored in a simple CSV.
Attachments
loveme.zip
LoveMe 0.1
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

I'm actually writing the same laucher projet but directly with love.
For now it only run with unpacked .love file, because love not allow to read into zip file.
Maybe I will ask for a feature request, or use the LuaZip lib...

Regards,
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I quickly discarded the idea of doing it in LÖVE because of just that. And note LÖVE ME is more than just a launcher!

btw, if anyone has a game distribution that they want included, just reply/pm/mail to me and supply the following information: Project name, Version, Author, Download address, and I'll add it to the list. (Next version will probably load the package list from teh internets 8-))
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Robin wrote:I quickly discarded the idea of doing it in LÖVE because of just that. And note LÖVE ME is more than just a launcher!
My project is not just a launcher too :D
I work most of all about the security (jail protection, filtering the I/O, filtering the network access, monitoring the memory use, ...).
See the little insane post here.

I also recently add a quick lua profiler.
But your features are also good ;)

Regards,
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)