love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
4aiman
Party member

Re: love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Post by 4aiman »

Tanner wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:19 pmwithout actually seeing what errors you're getting
Renaming the `src` folder to `love-release` may fix your problem.
I'm pretty stupid.

How do I run love-release at all?
Running main.lua or project.lua makes no sense:

Code: Select all

Error

main.lua:4: module 'love-release.pipes.args' not found:
no field package.preload['love-release.pipes.args']
no 'love-release/pipes/args' in LOVE game directories.
no file 'love-release/pipes/args.dll' in LOVE paths.
no file '.\love-release\pipes\args.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\lua\love-release\pipes\args.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\lua\love-release\pipes\args\init.lua'
no file '.\love-release\pipes\args.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\love-release\pipes\args.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\loadall.dll'
no file '.\love-release.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\love-release.dll'

Traceback

[C]: in function 'require'
main.lua:4: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'xpcall'

Error

.\love-release\pipes\args.lua:5: module 'argparse' not found:
no field package.preload['argparse']
no 'argparse' in LOVE game directories.
no file 'argparse.dll' in LOVE paths.
no file '.\argparse.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\lua\argparse.lua'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\lua\argparse\init.lua'
no file '.\argparse.dll'
no file 'C:\Program Files\LOVE\argparse.dll'

Traceback

.\love-release\pipes\args.lua:5: in main chunk
main.lua:4: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Note that I came across love-release just the other day and have no experience with the bash version (or with any version for that matter).
And it's not clear even a little bit how to run this w/o luarocks after looking through the readme.
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Hi 4aiman,
There is currently no way of installing love-release without LuaRocks, because I have used functions from the LuaRocks internal API (which I have been advised not to multiple times), but the API provides a great layer of abstraction over Lua libraries (luafilesystem, luaposix, luasec, ...) and over OSes.
When I started prototyping love-release, I had troubles integrating theses, and I was relieved to find the LuaRocks API.
However, the files used by love-release are (I think) very platform independent and could be extracted (vendor-ed ?) from the LuaRocks source and integrated into love-release.

Why wouldn't you use LuaRocks ? Do you compile and move to the right directories all the dependencies by hand? I believe that's the first use of a package manager...

I don't have much time/energy to work and improve love-release, and there's so much room for improvements :)
The zip backend could be improved.
4aiman
Party member

Post by 4aiman »

Thanks for the reply! :)

Well, I don't want to use luarocks because I have found it impossible to have it installed and to not hinder my path with unnecessary or outdated libraries. For example, Luarocks just *loves* Lua5.1. Moreover it depends on anylua package which, once installed, forces me to perform extra configuration to use LuaJIT 2.1 (beta).

Long story short, I found it much easier to compile love2d on Windows (thanks goodness, laptops are being sold with it pre-installed) from the sources than to get to the bottom of luarocks. :)
I don't say it went smoothly, but it "went".

I'm clearly too stupid to make luarocks obey. :oops:

Anyway, now I can build standalone binaries for both x86 and x64 (Win and Lin, sorry MacOS) as well as apks for ARM Android.
I still have to have Android SDK and NDK, but I have to have those anyway.
Like my first boss wrote:Programmers don't make no room for improvement. They know how important updates and patches are.
neilmakesgames
Prole

Post by neilmakesgames »

Just installed love-release and its dependencies, but I'm getting the same error nyx was getting:
nyx wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:06 pm okay, so i figured out how to fix the previous problem, but this is the new issue:

Code: Select all

me@computer:~/gamei$ lua /usr/local/bin/love-release
{
  title = 'Game',
  --[[ etc ]]--
}
lua: error loading module 'brimworks.zip' from file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/brimworks/zip.so':
	/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/brimworks/zip.so: undefined symbol: zip_get_error
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/love-release/script.lua:7: in main chunk
	...sr/local/share/lua/5.1/love-release/scripts/love.lua:5: in main chunk
	/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/love-release/pipes/args.lua:100: in function 'args'
	/usr/local/bin/love-release:11: in main chunk
	[C]: ?
I didn't see a followup posted in this thread. Does anyone have a solution or any ideas what might cause these errors?
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Have you installed libzip ? It looks like the lua binding brimworks/lua-zip can't find a function. Do you use luarocks-5.1 ? Lua 5.1 ?

I need to write a test suite for love-release and work on the zip binding and there's so much to do and I have so little time.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I have not done a lot of zipping/unzipping with Lua, but it seems to me that there should be a better option (or at least lua-zip should test for the existence of libzip itself).

Have you tried https://github.com/mpeterv/luazip ?
Rucikir wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pmthere's so much to do and I have so little time.
You must try having a child, man. It increases your available free time. Exponentially :nyu:
When I write def I mean function.
neilmakesgames
Prole

Post by neilmakesgames »

Rucikir wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm Have you installed libzip ? It looks like the lua binding brimworks/lua-zip can't find a function. Do you use luarocks-5.1 ? Lua 5.1 ?

I need to write a test suite for love-release and work on the zip binding and there's so much to do and I have so little time.
I hear you about the free time for an unpaid project. :( I also really appreciate you taking the time to help me troubleshoot :)

Let me start by saying I'm attempting this all on Rasbpian Jessie running on a Raspberry Pi 3, in case that makes any difference.

I've installed libzip from my repository and it appears the installed version is libzip2-0.11.2-1.2.

Lua version is 5.1.5.

Luarocks is 2.4.1 (which is the version the luarocks page prompted me to install).

Any of this look out of the ordinary?
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

kikito wrote:at least lua-zip should test for the existence of libzip itself
Well CMake should check for it before building. The script might be outdated.
kikito wrote:Have you tried https://github.com/mpeterv/luazip ?
This library only allows reading files inside zip archives. I would like to create and read zip archives, and to add/rename/replace/delete files inside them. I also have to access the timestamp of the last modification if I want to emulate the --filesync option.
kikito wrote:
Rucikir wrote:there's so much to do and I have so little time.
You must try having a child, man. It increases your available free time. Exponentially :nyu:
I can't argue with that, but I must say that it's not in my plans right now, neither for the next decade. My maths/CS courses and finals are no match! :D
neilmakesgames wrote:Any of this look out of the ordinary?
I can't really help you with the zip_get_error. My guess from looking at https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libzip is that Debian does not provide the latest version of the library, where zip_get_error is defined. Sorry !
I have troubles building lua-zip not because of libzip, but because of Lua incompatibilities... The flags need to be enabled! Urgh. I'll redo everything in July.

Meanwhile, if someone would like to rewrite a binding for a zip archive C library (I'm not interested in a pure deflate/inflate lib, I need to handle zip archives!), I think the best ones are http://www.info-zip.org/Zip.html which is the cli zip tool, and https://nih.at/libzip/ (which lua-zip binds to).

I'll be writing some Go during the summer, maybe I'll consider rewriting love-release in Go, which has a real zip library (in the standard library !). Would I need a Lua VM in Go ? Aaargh.

and a test suite !
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Hello everyone,

Development on love-release has dramatically slowed down during this year, but I'm glad that many people still have an interest in it.
I would like to thank the main contributors, especially Positive07 and TannerRogalsky who are the authors of the three commits of this year :p
Many thanks to the LÖVE devs for their great work. LÖVE and Lua have opened me many doors and allowed to me to meet wonderful people.

Here is a bugfix (I hope), hopefully (or not) not the only one of this year.
http://luarocks.org/modules/rucikir/lov ... se/2.0.4-1

Good hacking!
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

It's really great at what it does, Rucikir. I used it to package every game jam game I make and it saves a lot of tedious and error-prone work.