DEVötiön IDE (Now available for Download!)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Brother Erryn
Prole

DEVötiön IDE (Now available for Download!)

Post by Brother Erryn »

UPDATE:
There is now a Google Code project page (MIT license) for DEVötiön, and version 0.5.0 is available for download. A couple of notes:

1. This requires the .NET 2.0 runtimes
2. This is very much a "use at your own risk" program. Back up your stuff!
3. It's not done completely, and I'm aware the Intellisense is incomplete (and may behave strangely). Anybody that wants to work on the Intellisense.xml file is more than welcome to. :)

http://code.google.com/p/devotion/

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi everybody, I just recently "discovered" LÖVE and it took me back to my happy early days of 2D programming. I was impressed with how much you can do with just a little script. Over the years, I've gotten spoiled with excellent development tools (Eclipse, Visual Studio, NetBeans, etc.), and I was a little disappointed to not find a true I.D.E. for LÖVE. So last night I wrote one. :D

It's far from complete, but it's already pretty useful. It treats .LOVE files as projects. When you open one, it unzips it all into a temp folder where you do all your work. When you exit, close or click to run your project, it re-zips that into the .LOVE file (replacing the original). It supports syntax-highlighting and multiple tabs.

Plans include 1,000-level Undo/Redo, bookmarks, multiple-document Find/Replace, image preview, and merged package build (with custom icon).

It's written in C# (.NET 2.0 framework), so there's the Mono option for non-Windows users.

Feel free to throw in feature requests and suggestions. I'll release it when I think it's "good enough", and if there's enough interest I'll probably stick it up on Google Code.

(Note: I just found the post about DÖVE, which looks like a different approach to an I.D.E. than I'm taking. You can't have too many projects, right?)
Attachments
Early DEVötiön IDE Screenshot
Early DEVötiön IDE Screenshot
devotion1.png (56.04 KiB) Viewed 16868 times
Last edited by Brother Erryn on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
osgeld
Party member

Re: DEVötiön IDE

Post by osgeld »

looks like whats needed

just based on screenshots ...
toss in themes (cause i like a dark bg with vibrant colors to script with) and if you want to get spiffy, collapsible code blocks (ie notepad ++ style) and your pretty close to my ideal love ide
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Lookin' good.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

This might be a good take. If it runs on Mono and subsequently on Linux, I'd in. I'm on Vista right now but I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to Ubuntu in the not-too-distant future.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Illidane
Prole

Post by Illidane »

wow, it's pretty good. Think it'll be ide we all needing now. Hope you'll realease it soon.
ido
Prole

Post by ido »

Brother Erryn wrote: It's written in C# (.NET 2.0 framework), so there's the Mono option for non-Windows users.
Are you testing and making sure it's working properly on mono, or are you just hoping it does?

In my experience it's not obvious that any .net app will automatically also work on mono.

Cool project at any rate.

-Ido.
Evil Telephone
Prole

Post by Evil Telephone »

Wow! This looks freakin' awesome! Coding in notepad and having to manually running my programs is getting old. I'm looking forward to being able to try a release-ready version of this.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Looks great! Remembers me of.. ah, forgot the name.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Looks really good. Is that Tango icons? Or are they built into .NET?
mLaPL
Prole

Post by mLaPL »

yeah look's very nice, I search editor for lua but not find any like delphi with "popup command menu". If this editor have "popup command menu" then i will wait :)