Something

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Something

Post by Lafolie »

Hello thar!

I shouldn't really be posting this (I think...) but I just wanna share something on here. Besides, I can always update this thread as the project moves along, providing anyone who's interested with little updates. But yeah....

This project started last night. I had a rough day yesterday, not well at all, so I couldn't concentrate on my 'main' project. And thus this little.... thing was born. I don't have a design document for it, I don't have a clear idea of what direction it's going in and I haven't been commenting the code thoroughly. Who knows though? It could turn into something fun at some point. I'm already debating turning it into something more NES-like than DOS-like. It's got to be throwaway fun anyway - it's a throwaway project, heh.

So far all you can do is generate a random place (that you can't explore and is little more than a name) and watch Samus die over and over and over and over.... I like to think she has a Metroid Latch status effect afflicted :P In reality though, that's happening just to test the dynamic text colouring based on HP/AP values.

Oh yeah, I guess I should also add that this is going to be an (oldschool?) RPG of some sort. One full of randomly generated content, made just for you! As I said, there is no design document, I'm just experimenting and doing things as I think of them. I'm hoping that at some point I'll strike oil and come up with a decent idea to pursue.

[UPDATE]
Well, it seems that love.audio behaves differently on Mac and PC. On my Mac I was using this code to play "static" audio files:

Code: Select all

asource:rewind()
asource:play()
Testing on my brother's PC (and with help from Datriot) brought me to realise that this does not function properly on PCs, or at least, Windows Vista-based computers. Instead I now used this code:

Code: Select all

asource:stop()
asource:play()
(Largely pointless) Screenshot:

Controls:
  • Enter - generate new area
  • F8 - toggle resolution (text display needs altering when switching. I should fix that.)
Just for your information, all the artwork and sound-effects are created by me (using Photoshop and Reason).

As I say, not much going on just yet, but I just wanna show that I'm doing something. Never know, someone might see something in this that I don't. Any suggestions/comments/criticisms are welcome guys.
Attachments
random_rpg_002.love
Fixed sound bug.
(202.5 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.