Physical limit to the size of a font?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Physical limit to the size of a font?

Post by Jasoco »

I created a font image PNG of the font Helvetica Neue UltraLight at a large size (100 pixels high) that I was gonna use to type out my menus by way of scaling it down to use it at different sizes. It would be a lot simpler than making images for each menu option.

But for some reason Löve doesn't like it.

When it is displayed, it is shown as a colored box based on the color I set the color to. I made the font white so it would be colorizable obviously. So I can colorize it black and place it on a white background, or red for selected options. But instead it shows up as black or red boxes.

The image is 4046x100 pixels in size. Could it be that Löve just doesn't like huge fonts? Is there a set limit to the size?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Physical limit to the size of a font?

Post by Jasoco »

Apparently it does hate large images. I just made one at 50% the size and it works fine. But it's smaller than I want. Either that or I made the image wrong but I can't see any problems with the original. The purple lines are all in the right place.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

you do have a halo around each letter of the same color, maybe its enough to make love ignore it
Pliskin09
Citizen

Post by Pliskin09 »

and shrinking them down would make it even less noticable which may be why love allowed it then
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No. There is no halo around the original. Apparently Tinypic shrunk the image down. It's SUPPOSED to be 4000+ pixels wide. I didn't know TinyPic shrunk it. They also put dark pixels around it when it shrunk.

The original is made in Photoshop and uses a plain white font with strong antialiasing.

The dark pixels are NOT in the original image. The problem still stands. Löve must not like large images for fonts. I tried saving it a couple times. It just doesn't like big images.

I'd play around and try and figure it out but making fonts is so darn time consuming if you want to make one with every letter, both small and capital, all numbers and standard punctuation.

I'd like to get a statement from rude maybe. See what the developers have to say. Are there any limitations to other images as well? I mean 4000 pixels is only for that one font. None of my other images come close to even 1000 because they don't need to be. The font was only 4000 because I wanted it to be big so I could shrink it like a normal font for use in my UI without having to create multiple sizes.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

No need for you to get all underliney with me :o

Ive been fighting halo for wayyyy too long now and at first look thats what stood out, and there is still the fact that the halo IS the same color as you set for ignore, and I did not know that was not the original image please forgive me (tone osgeld tone ...)

However your making your fonts and making them "so darn time consuming" you should consider different methods, I made one with 0-9ABC in a vector package, inkscape, and timed myself at 9.46 seconds, and the halo (if any) is black and not my ignore color 0,1,0 + the fact that whatever you see in photoshop most likley is not whats going to be exactly recorded in a file format ESPECIALLY when it involves 8 bit alpha + 24 bit antialasing and open GL

IN ALL Fairness I just tried to load a 256x2560 and, while the font did not display, I did not get "boxes" just the separator lines I placed, maybe you could clarify what you saw (but I assume you saw the same thing)

So yes there is probably some limit to the font
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

The limit is 2048 which just so happens to be a common max size for older / weaker video card and usually a default open gl max setting (newer cards can handle textures upto 4096 if software allows it)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Don't take my CAPITAL UNDERLINED TEXT as yelling. It is how I convey emphasis. :monocle:

If I wanted to yell, I'D HAVE SPOKE BOLDER! :P

I didn't know TinyPic resized images. I guess they all do really. I'd have hosted it myself if I didn't get rid of my host a few months ago to save money. Boy were they sad to see me go. :roll:

2048 is a safe number I hope? I'll remember that. Good to know.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

Jasoco wrote:If I wanted to yell, I'D HAVE SPOKE BOLDER! :P
OK
:o
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

The limit depends on the graphics card (and/or driver). My card can take 8192x8192, for instance, but I don't recommend using anything above 1024x1024.