Android screen size woes (11.2+)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
AuahDark
Party member

Re: Android screen size woes (11.2+)

Post by AuahDark »

Hmm, I would need new device to test that behaviour. My phone does have space reserved for the navigation buttons so can't really say anything until I have new device.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I've revisited this issue. It turns out that it's not random, it follows a pattern, which lets me explain what the pattern is with the hope that it will be reproducible by someone else.

This specific issue only happens when in fullscreen mode, regardless of whether it's "exclusive" or "desktop" (does that have any effect on Android at all?) and regardless of "usedpiscale".

I have my phone configured to auto-rotate, and Löve forces it to landscape mode while it is in the foreground. In order for the problem to manifest, the following circumstances need to occur simultaneously:

- It needs to be launched while it is present in the list of running apps (regardless of whether it finished or it's still running, and regardless of whether it's launched from the list itself or from the desktop icon).
- The orientation of the phone while launching Löve must be landscape.

In these circumstances, a black bar appears in the place where the buttons would be if it was not fullscreen:
Black_bar_in_fullscreen.png
Black_bar_in_fullscreen.png (11.87 KiB) Viewed 2791 times

This is recoverable: if I minimize Löve, go to the desktop, switch to portrait mode and then invoke Löve again from the list of running apps while in portrait mode, the black bar goes away. But if I don't switch to portrait mode, the black bar appears.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

I just have new device and I can't reproduce that black bar problem in Redni Note 9 Pro. However running LOVE from the app drawer after it has been previously launched will freeze LOVE (and this is a separate issue anyway).

Since my phone app drawr always run in portrait no matter what, I launched another app (ie. WhatsApp) in landscape mode then I launch LOVE via ADB. Yet I didn't enocunter that issue.

This makes me believe that this has been fixed in https://github.com/love2d/love-android/ ... 1ed593e261
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!