Love taking forever to start... [Solved]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Slayer
Prole

Love taking forever to start... [Solved]

Post by Slayer »

Hello, I recently started programming with Lua and decided that game programming would help me learn the language better, enter LOVE. I really like LOVE because it is so easy to use, but when I run anything it takes upwards of 20+ seconds to start, making progress extremely slow. Now it only takes a long time to start when I run code with it, by itself Love starts instantly. I'm Sure this is a case of user error or improper configuration, but I cant seem to figure it out.

This is just a simple test have been playing with in love. The message moves up and down and changes.

Code: Select all

Greet = "Hello World"
msgy = 300

function move()
	if love.keyboard.isDown("e") then
		msgy = msgy-1
	end
	if love.keyboard.isDown("d") then
		msgy = msgy+1
	end
end
function changemsg()
	if love.keyboard.isDown("w") then
		Greet = "Goodbye!"
	end
end

function love.update()
	move()
	changemsg()
end

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.print(Greet, 400, msgy)
end
Last edited by Slayer on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slayer
Prole

Re: Love taking forever to start... :(

Post by Slayer »

My PC:

Windows 8.1
Intel I7 4790k
16gb ram

OpenGL
4.5.0 NVIDIA 372.54
NVIDIA Corparation
GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Edit:
I have also disabled my antivirus to no avail. I'm using the 64bit version perhaps I should try the 32bit?
Last edited by Slayer on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It's a known issue - some configuration of drivers causes LÖVE to take very long to start, because it tries to create a window with different graphics modes until it finds one that works. It doesn't take more than a split second on a normal system, but some very specific configurations cause such iterative search to take very long time.

Try updating your drivers and see if it works.

Also, the nogame screen does not uses some modules. Try loading a blank file, try loading files with different modules disabled in the config file.
Last edited by raidho36 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slayer
Prole

Post by Slayer »

raidho36 wrote:It's a known issue - some configuration of drivers causes LÖVE to take very long to start, because it tries to create a window with different graphics modes until it finds one that works. It doesn't take more than a split second on a normal system, but some very specific configurations cause such iterative search to take very long time.
Thanks for the reply. :)

Is there anyway to know which graphics mode it finally uses and force it to only use that one?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You shouldn't do that because what works on your machine may not work on others'. And either way you're not really in control of it, because by "mode" I mean graphics driver system flags, they're set before window is created and as far as I'm aware you can't enforce a specific set of flags.

Give it a while and one of the devs is sure to come over and give a more detailed assistance.
Slayer
Prole

Post by Slayer »

Ok, Thanks for the help. :)
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Someone else reported the same problem here:

https://www.love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83045

A quick temporary solution is to use 0.9.2 instead of 0.10.2.

Also, it's probably not this issue, but just in case I'm dropping it here:

https://www.love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83140
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

raidho36 wrote:It's a known issue - some configuration of drivers causes LÖVE to take very long to start, because it tries to create a window with different graphics modes until it finds one that works. It doesn't take more than a split second on a normal system, but some very specific configurations cause such iterative search to take very long time.
This might be the issue, but it has not been confirmed. The fact that the no-game screen starts instantly actually makes me suspect it's not related to graphics or the window at all.
Slayer wrote:This is just a simple test have been playing with in love.
Can you try disabling the audio module (t.modules.audio = false) in [wiki]conf.lua[/wiki]?
Slayer
Prole

Post by Slayer »

@slime I tried disabling audio but it didn't seem to help. Also, I don't know if it helps, but I forgot to mention once the game window starts it works for about 1-2 seconds then hangs and is unresponsive for another 10 seconds. After that it works fine though.

@pgimeno I tried disabling the shader cache on my graphics card, but it didn't help unfortunately. I may try the older version and see if that helps.

I'm going to try updating my graphics card driver and see if that helps. If there's no update I will reinstall it.
Slayer
Prole

Post by Slayer »

Also, does love have any dependencies that perhaps updating would help? Such as, do I need Lua installed. Currently I only have love installed.