A utf-8 question,PLZ help me!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Alexar
Party member

A utf-8 question,PLZ help me!

Post by Alexar »

Hi everyone,
I am a Chinese, and I love Love2d very much. I am working on a project about a CCG game.But I am confused in utf-8 code problem.
I use sublime text 3 with a convert to utf8 package. there is no problem in building the project. but when i zip things up to a .love file there comes an error "could not open the file [messy code].png, file do not exist". for example, the file path is "res/pic/你好.png"
I guess the problem is to the Chinese file name.
what can i do to deal with it? just using English file name? or these is some way?
please help me!
Doctory
Party member

Re: A utf-8 question,PLZ help me!

Post by Doctory »

using an english name for a file is the easiest way to do it, since i dont think love can load chinese file names.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Doctory wrote:using an english name for a file is the easiest way to do it, since i dont think love can load chinese file names.
I don't have a problem using love.filesystem.load() on filenames that have Japanese and Chinese characters.

@Alexar

Could you please post your '*.love' file? I would like to take a look at it and try to help if I can.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Alexar
Party member

Post by Alexar »

ejmr wrote:
Doctory wrote:using an english name for a file is the easiest way to do it, since i dont think love can load chinese file names.
I don't have a problem using love.filesystem.load() on filenames that have Japanese and Chinese characters.

@Alexar

Could you please post your '*.love' file? I would like to take a look at it and try to help if I can.
thanks a lot man. i tried to upload the love file but failed because of bad net connection. will you please send me an email adress?
and here's some code i hope could help.

Code: Select all

self.pic_front = love.graphics.newImage("res/pic/"..name..".png")
		self.pic_back = love.graphics.newImage("res/pic/"..self.race.."_back"..".png")
		self.pic_frame = love.graphics.newImage("res/pic/"..self.race.."_frame".."_"..tostring(self.level)..".png")
		self.font=nil
		self.color={} --color={r,g,b,a}
when i load the png

Code: Select all

{"贿赂","每拥有一个骷髅+1金币出牌时抽卡","绿","技能",13,1,0,false,{"onPlay",a.corruption,"onPlay",a.drawCard,"onPlay",a.reUse}},
the tab[1]="贿赂" is the ver name
and the file path is
/res/pic/贿赂.png

the question is why i build it in sublime it works but zip the love file it fails... thanks again
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Alexar wrote: i tried to upload the love file but failed because of bad net connection. will you please send me an email adress?
Feel free to email it to me at 'ejmr at plutono dot com'.
南無妙法蓮華經
arampl
Party member

Post by arampl »

Alexar wrote:Hi everyone,
I am a Chinese, and I love Love2d very much. I am working on a project about a CCG game.But I am confused in utf-8 code problem.
I use sublime text 3 with a convert to utf8 package. there is no problem in building the project. but when i zip things up to a .love file there comes an error "could not open the file [messy code].png, file do not exist". for example, the file path is "res/pic/你好.png"
I guess the problem is to the Chinese file name.
what can i do to deal with it? just using English file name? or these is some way?
please help me!
Does this problem exists when you execute your .love file and not when you just execute "love ../<folder>"? If so, then maybe you have problem with your compression utility.

EDIT: Oh, I see problem exactly this. Try to use another archiver. But even if you succeeded, I'd suggest you to not use non-english names.
Doctory wrote:using an english name for a file is the easiest way to do it ...
I'm agree with that. I'm personally always trying to stand in the MS-DOS land - ASCII names 8.3 (often have a problem with spaces, long names and non-english letters).
Alexar
Party member

Post by Alexar »

not in the zip process but run the love file.
thanks for the suggestion. i think a simple english file name will fix all the prob.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

arampl wrote:EDIT: Oh, I see problem exactly this. Try to use another archiver. But even if you succeeded, I'd suggest you to not use non-english names.
In other words, it's most likely that zip archives can't handle utf8 filenames; unfortunately, löve files need to be zips as far as i know, so you can't just use another archiver.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
arampl
Party member

Post by arampl »

zorg wrote:In other words, it's most likely that zip archives can't handle utf8 filenames; unfortunately, löve files need to be zips as far as i know, so you can't just use another archiver.
No, no. I mean other tool, not format. On my Xubuntu archiver handles filenames with any letters without problems in zip format.

And LÖVE uses it without problems too.

Definitely it is not zip format problem nor LÖVE.

P.S. But I never use non-english letters in source code filenames just because it will be easy for other people to search through my code.
Last edited by arampl on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Alexar wrote: the tab[1]="贿赂" is the ver name
and the file path is
/res/pic/贿赂.png
When I unzipped the ‘*.love’ file you sent me /res/pic/贿赂.png was not the filename. None of the filenames were in UTF-8. Assuming Chinese is the default language and locale on your computer, is it possible the filenames are instead in BIG5 or GB18030 or one of the other GB-variants? In which case you could add in an extra step to convert them when building the ‘*.love’ archive, but as other people have suggested it would be more simple to use ASCII.

Although please don’t restrict yourself to the 8.3 filename format. It’s not 1981 anymore :P
南無妙法蓮華經