feedback on game idea

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ArchAngel075
Party member

feedback on game idea

Post by ArchAngel075 »

So im making a DBZ based 2D more than 1v1 fighting game...

I have decided not to go to lengths to get proper animated characters for the project, but instead im working on a parody idea :
Blobs!
well spheres... simply put i thought if i used circles or blobs as characters i can reduce the complexity but have a theme going on (think "tee worlds")

though im unsure if this graphic style is good, since seeing colored spheres flying around might be abit awkward...
But if i try adding objects to the blobs i can give them more life, say a hairstyle or a skintone or vest of the character (imagin a blob with goku or vegeta hair on it)

Is there any advice for graphic styles to use?
NOTE :
There are restrictions :
The characters must be recognizable, ie i must be able to tell whos who at a glance.
The characters must be simplistic, i am not good at collison code, although characters will be small enough to not ever need any BIG collision code.
The characters must be animatable in 3 stages(minimum) (Charging up, firing,moving)
--- (note im NOT ASKING FOR any animations, i simply mean that i must be able to easily see its dong action X, for walking its simply about flipping a static image for the most simplest animation)
I am talking about a sidescroller 2D brawler, nothing 3D.
Characters will be small, about the size of a tee world character.

Lastly, is this idea a good one?! I dont mind any criticism, infact i welcome ideas and suggestions!
adekto
Prole

Re: feedback on game idea

Post by adekto »

so as far as i understand:
you want to make a good looking game without paying much attention to detail or animation?
you dont want good art because the collision detection is "sloppy"?
and u want to make the art look like dragonball kirby?

so i dont really see why u wood make lesser art just of that, and just giving a blob a hairstyle isn't really a parody.
making something like this funny wood need allot of animations and winks to the original for inspiration look at the lego series.
since its 2d and dragonball is a comic/anime its best to draw them although a vector art wont hurt to much ether.

how u described your idear now, its terrible. not to mention that the fighting genre is a hard one to master and balance out?
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

A lot of the more traditional fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, etc) would actually use slightly big hitboxes, along with a few sub-boxes in order to determine what the opponent was hit by, where the attack hits, etc. So bigger bounding boxes wouldn't be too much of an issue. In most cases you're only going to have 2 fighters on screen, so you don't need to worry about much.

You'll also want some kind of input buffer if you're going to do combos and stuff, along with a decent amount of animations.
I'll agree with adekto here, the idea so far doesn't sound that great.

Also, about bigger collisions: AABB detection is AABB detection. Doesn't really matter the size, it's the same formula. For a fighting game like this, that's pretty much all you should need.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
batatinha
Prole

Post by batatinha »

If the problem is the art, i guess that some ps1 games are already abandonware, so you can decompile it...
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

Woah.

So firstly id like to mention ,graphic style is sorta solved, i managed to get something that might fit the idea..
Also note that the controls are still being decided, i am mostly leaning towards a mouse and keyboard control style.
Next : sorry but there CAN be more that two players on a screen at a time, the idea is to see if a team (5v5?) of dragonball-kirbys (or tee-worlds guys) is doable in a fighting game.

Im busy going over mechanics, such as engaging in a melee and using abilities.
Need to think over these.

Any ways, i preferbly want to see what can happen with this project idea, note that the theme is just DBZ, i could have gone for MLP, tekken,blazBlue, original.. Its just that DBZ is my closest bet to actually figuring out mechanics.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

There was "Ballz" game on Sega Genesis and SNES. It was a 3D fighting game that had this kid of graphics, and, well, it had problems. But it was original and cool at a time. I really suggest to avoid it, it doesn't look so good. Instead you can try to make flash animations and render them to sprites, if you want it fast and easy.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

raidho36 wrote:There was "Ballz" game on Sega Genesis and SNES. It was a 3D fighting game that had this kid of graphics, and, well, it had problems. But it was original and cool at a time. I really suggest to avoid it, it doesn't look so good. Instead you can try to make flash animations and render them to sprites, if you want it fast and easy.
It's called Ballz 3D or something (inb4 sexual jokes) and it was absolutely horrendous.
I don't know if he's actually talking about making the sprites out of...balls, (someone's gonna make the sexual joke) which would probably be a good idea to avoid. Especially if you want something simple that's not a good way to go about it. (Though arguably it's the same spritewise but iirc that game had some kind of bounding box per sphere; that game cheats so I know it doesn't use proper collision :x )
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

Ive actually got alot of some concepts up and done, i wont post a .love until i move all changes over to per cahracter (atm i force any values to refer to chars[1], which is my testing char)

Im just about pieced together :
movement, with restrictions such as : is solid ground, jumping (with a jump hight peak)
basic Ki-ball, use mouse 1 to fire, aim with mouse aswell. Uses up small amounts of ki per ball, i can also control the freq of firing
Explosions (really neat ones too!) (madea pushExplosion() function for this lol)
charging up(gather ki etc)- forces you to stand still, has a neat effect (which is actually a abuse of pushExplosion())
flying, uses up Ki(small amounts) and disables automatically on 0 KI, has no FX but makign one is easy enof.
Boosting, uses up KI quickly but speeds up actions such as movement, and makes KI-ball shooting freq higher (about thrice fast)
Combo based special abilities - Hold both mouse buttons, then press a WASD combo in, release mouse2 to fire the combo.
Combo system is perfect in terms of comparing, it makes sure to not waste time by comparing the length of the combo entered and the length of a techniques combo-list before continue.
Beams, they work perfectly and travel constantly. You direct them with mouse but if they hit the mouse pointer it will force the pointer to move ahead.
Beams draw pretty well, as i make sure that the player is the initial source. and it constantly adds the players current position to the beams list of points to use in graphics.line(). but i check if the positions arnt the same else we have a bunch of exact same coords if the player stands still.

Im pretty tired after a full 48hour-so dedication...

Overall its a good game,
Ill upload images of the concept if people wish..