I can't find libmpg...

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: I can't find libmpg...

Post by thelinx »

giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

nevon wrote:There is, but not for fedora, only Ubuntu.
well, the "only" part isn't that right, right? I know there is Arch Linux package and you can do "yaourt -S love", "yaourt -S love-05" or "yaourt -S love-hg" to get latest 0.6, 0.5 or tip from hg, with all dependencies and update tracking - and what more - by default you can install all 3 together as executables are named love, love-05 and love-hg - so you can easily test your game on different versions or play older, yet un-ported games and still manage all with your package manager. I'm not sure Ubuntu have those :P

Anyway, as I saw someone recommended *buntu, I cannot refuse to add that I'm never recommending *buntu even to enemies :P Why not pick some mature distribution - port based package management and rolling release are better for development, really. It's my opinion and my 0.02$ though - I might be biased here as I never liked any .deb or .rpm except for opensuse/meego maybe where they have their uses - but as far as any development goes - for 4 years used Slackware and then moved to Arch and I'm happy with it another 4 years already - had 1 day episode of Ubuntu as second OS in 2005 when there was so much of first wave of noise - I see no reason really, it even didn't had root or gcc by default at least back then - and all this splitting to lib and lib-dev is just plain z-class horror, it only proves it isn't system designed for any serious work, but to show people coming from windows they can use word editor, movie player and web browser on Linux too. To say, I'm pretty sure that *buntu is good for what it is good at, and what it was made for.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

... it only proves it isn't system designed for any serious work, ...
Just to give some perspective, I use ubuntu on my current day job.

Root access:

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Gcc:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install gcc
And I installed it in 20 minutes.
Last edited by kikito on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
When I write def I mean function.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

kikito wrote:Just to give some perspective, I use ubuntu on my current day job.
My workplace uses Ubuntu on their machines.
The clusters are running Red Hat though.