Why you get bugs & how to fix them [Youtube]

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jeeper
Party member

Why you get bugs & how to fix them [Youtube]

Post by Jeeper »

It's bit a bit over a month since the last video in the beginner tutorial series was released. This video is a bit different in that it covers a broader topic. The idea was to provide some information and help for beginners who are running into issues and not sure how to proceed. Everything from different kinds of errors, how to read error messages and how to ask for help (In a way that increases your chance of actually getting some).

If you have any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!

In the meantime I have also been writing the script for a fairly ambitious tutorial series covering everything you need to know in order to create a platformer game. The script for that series is almost done (currently about 33 pages).
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Why you get bugs & how to fix them [Youtube]

Post by sphyrth »

1. It's useful even for me who already knows all this stuff.
2. The Tab>Space Rant made me lol. As a 2-Space Indentation Coder, the "Configurable Tabs" argument is what I'll remember when making big, open-source projects.
But since all of my projects are small, I'm re-inforced to use Space: It's mainly for trolling Tab-Coders like you... that is IF you find my code worthy of looking at anyway.
3. I have mixed feelings seeing the MatPat-style animations, but it's good that they're mostly "invisible" because of the info.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Tab for indenting, Space for adjusting :P
Still, nice tutorials you're making, good stuff.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

sphyrth wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am 1. It's useful even for me who already knows all this stuff.
2. The Tab>Space Rant made me lol. As a 2-Space Indentation Coder, the "Configurable Tabs" argument is what I'll remember when making big, open-source projects.
But since all of my projects are small, I'm re-inforced to use Space: It's mainly for trolling Tab-Coders like you... that is IF you find my code worthy of looking at anyway.
3. I have mixed feelings seeing the MatPat-style animations, but it's good that they're mostly "invisible" because of the info.
1: Awesome, that was the goal with the video, to make it entertaining enough that everyone can "get something" out of it.

2: I hope it's obvious that it's all in good fun, while I do use tabs myself I have no strong feeling for one or the other :D

3: Yeah this video is a bit of an experiment. I want to try to keep it entertaining, while not sacrificing the tutorial aspect of it. Videos that follow a more "traditional tutorial structure", like the one I am working on now, wont have as much jokes and such.
zorg wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm Tab for indenting, Space for adjusting :P
Still, nice tutorials you're making, good stuff.
Spoken like a true diplomat!
And thank you! :D
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Jeeper wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:07 pm I hope it's obvious that it's all in good fun, while I do use tabs myself I have no strong feeling for one or the other :D
Oh, yes. That's why I laughed so much at your rant after saying "Do what works for you." :rofl:
But the "For devs to read" is the argument that will sell me back to tabs.

zorg's position is the Hybrid one; both persecuted by zealots of both sides and is therefore a third player.

smh - I'm talking about an esoteric in-house developer debate. lol