Löve beginner tutorial [Youtube] All 6 episodes are out!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jeeper
Party member

Löve beginner tutorial [Youtube] All 6 episodes are out!

Post by Jeeper »

For a long time (think years) I have been interested in making a tutorial series on Löve. I have actually started to make one 4 times in the past, but ultimately scrapped them and shelved the idea. That's why I am very happy to finally be able to announce that this time is different :awesome:

I have finished series of 6 episodes in total, aimed at beginners who want to start making games. I just uploaded the first episode, and will be posting a new one every 2-3 days. I will link them here as they are released!

Here is the first episode of the series:

My plan is to continue making new tutorial series, so if you have any suggestions on what kind of topics you would like me to cover, feel free to let me know! I intend to create both longer series (For an example "Making X game") and single videos covering a specific topic.

E1 - Introduction and setup
E2 - Crash course in Lua and Löve
E3 - Pong, creating the player
E4 - Pong, creating the ball
E5 - Pong, creating an AI opponent
E6 - Pong, adding assets
Last edited by Jeeper on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
MarkVV
Prole

Re: Löve tutorial series [Youtube]

Post by MarkVV »

Thanks a lot for this tutorial. Gonna dig it on weekends.
Here is a perfect example of Emory supplement essay! Have a look!
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

MarkVV wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:41 am Thanks a lot for this tutorial. Gonna dig it on weekends.
Hey, glad to hear your going to watch it, let me know what you think. I am not used to making videos, so I am open for feedback :)

Just released episode two, also outlined the episodes that will come in the OP.

This episode goes through some very basic Lua and Löve stuff in order to prepare you for next 4 episodes where we will make Pong :awesome:
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

:awesome:
Whenever I see a tutorial, I try to step back from the point of view of a noob. So far, I can say that your videos are on a high-quality polished level. The concise but meaningful definitions, the flow, even the overall presentation.

Personally, I find it "too slow because I want to code already". But then again: I prefer to know what my code does so that when I try to deviate from the tutorial, I still won't get lost. So, the "slowness" is worth it.

Oh please, please! Do more.
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

Nice, you have good editing skill so it's not boring to hear. Also the small lengh is good. What do you use to edit your videos ?
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

sphyrth wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 pm :awesome:
Whenever I see a tutorial, I try to step back from the point of view of a noob. So far, I can say that your videos are on a high-quality polished level. The concise but meaningful definitions, the flow, even the overall presentation.

Personally, I find it "too slow because I want to code already". But then again: I prefer to know what my code does so that when I try to deviate from the tutorial, I still won't get lost. So, the "slowness" is worth it.

Oh please, please! Do more.
Thank you for the kind words, yeah it's a tricky balancing act between not being to slow and boring but also managing to explain things properly. My intention is to continue making tutorial series after this one, even though it takes a lot of time, it's really fun :awesome:
4vZEROv wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:56 pm Nice, you have good editing skill so it's not boring to hear. Also the small lengh is good. What do you use to edit your videos ?
Thank you! I do the editing with a friend, we use iMovie and Powerdirector 18

Episode 3 is now released :ultrahappy:

Jeeper
Party member

Re: Löve tutorial series [Youtube] E4 released!

Post by Jeeper »

Just released Episode 4, in this episode I cover AABB collision detection and add a ball for the game.

That's the 4th video in the series out of 6 in total. I am already planning the next tutorial series, and would love any feedback you have for me on how to improve it going forward :)
heyrosieposie
Prole

Re: Löve tutorial series [Youtube] E4 released!

Post by heyrosieposie »

I literally just stumbled onto Love yesterday after spending a lot of time trying to learn Unity, no experience at all with Lua. These tutorials are a godsend, perfect pace and perfect level of simplicity. Please keep them coming!! :ultraglee:
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Löve tutorial series [Youtube] E5 is now out!

Post by Jeeper »

heyrosieposie wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 am I literally just stumbled onto Love yesterday after spending a lot of time trying to learn Unity, no experience at all with Lua. These tutorials are a godsend, perfect pace and perfect level of simplicity. Please keep them coming!! :ultraglee:
Really glad to hear that you like it, because I made this series with people like you in mind! Is there anything you wish that I did differently/better for the next tutorial series?

Speaking of "keeping them coming", I just released episode 5! :D

Jeeper
Party member

Re: Löve tutorial series [Youtube] All 6 episodes are out!

Post by Jeeper »

All of the episodes in this tutorial series have now been released! Thank you so much for the feedback and input (both here, on youtube and over at Discord).

It's back to the drawing board now, I have already started writing the script for the next tutorial series (though this is a process that take quite a bit of time). If there is anything you would want me to change for the next tutorial series, or if you liked something in particular and want me to continue doing it please let me know! This is all really new to me so I rely heavily on feedback from you guys! :awesome: