Relicensing LOVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
steria773
Prole

Relicensing LOVE

Post by steria773 »

Hello everyone!!!
Can i relicense love2d under MIT license? For a software i work on that uses love2d and other licensed projects
And if,How to relicense?
Can relicense just be modify license from license.txt file or not?
Please respond!!!
pfirsich
Prole

Re: Relicensing LOVE

Post by pfirsich »

What is the important difference between those licenses? As far as I see it, the only difference is that you have to state changes made to the software. If I am correct, why is that so important to you?

If you want to relicense Open Source work, you will have to get consent of all current copyright holders (i.e. all contributors to löve, which are quite a lot). If you could just relicense software like that, I could download Unreal Engine right now, slap a MIT license on it and never pay for it ever.
You also might have to relicense some or all dependencies of löve, which would increase the required effort even more.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

From what I understand about Zlib License, Condition #3 says you can't do that. At least with the Framework.

The code your write (which is separate from the Framework) seems to be the place you can slap the MIT License. But I don't really know.
steria773
Prole

Post by steria773 »

OK Thanks,95% or even 99% of LOVE dependencies licensed under MIT
So the problem is somehow solved!!!
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

^ Only 95% or 99% solved. What about the rest of the code? :P

You can't just modify a license agreement because you want to. It's up to the authors of the code to set the license(s), and no one else can change that. That's kind of the point of a license.

You can, of course, use the Love engine for free to create games for free/commercial. I'm pretty sure the current Love license would be compatible with your uses, unless you're trying to pass off the Love framework as your own work.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

milon wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:08 pm unless you're trying to pass off the Love framework as your own work.
I stopped responding to him because I got lost in what he was trying to accomplish. All I'm hoping is that he got the message:
"You can release YOUR (addon) source code as MIT, but not the Framework itself."

ZLib's Clause #2 prevents him from claiming it as his original work anyway.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

No, you can't really do that.

I think you may want to release a game under MIT License, then yes you can do that while having LOVE under zLib license. The LOVE zLib license only applies to LOVE itself. You can, however modify LOVE and use the modified LOVE in conjunction with your own game, but you must state all the changes you made to LOVE itself.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!