Bump - collision

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
steg90
Prole

Bump - collision

Post by steg90 »

Hi,

I'm new to love2d but not games development. I've just started out using Bump for collision detection, seems a great library. My project is going to be a large land that is procedurally generated - think Terraria. So, quite a big 2d array to store each tile etc. My question is, can all these tile objects be added to the world you create with Bump or would the CPU grind to a halt? What I've done in the passed is just to map the players x,y position to the 2d array the tiles are stored in, but this doesn't offer great collision.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
apkdldoni
Prole

Re: Bump - collision

Post by apkdldoni »

I tried to made something like you want to create but game always crash in middle of the game.
You need to create the world smaller and when player goes forward the past world removed and new world create !
I hope you understand the idea.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi, Bump author here.

My understanding is that most of those games (Terraria, Minecraft, etc) partition the world into chumks and dynamically load them to/from disk as the player approaches/moves away. Bump handles collisions, but the dynamic load/unload of chunks would have to be handled by some other means.
When I write def I mean function.
steg90
Prole

Post by steg90 »

Many thanks and many thanks Kikito for the libraries you create.

I have done a terraria style game before but was written in Java and used LibGdx, but I rolled my own collision. Basically what I did was to take the players x,y position and offset it with a huge 2d array the world is stored in, worked quite well but not pixel perfect collision, sometimes you would end up half-way in a tile...

Just wondering how many collidable objects can be added to the world using bump and still run at 60fps?