need help

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zoro94
Prole

need help

Post by zoro94 »

I need help with coding a character into the game I am using zerobrainstudio an löve2d to try an make a 2d rpg to walk around an attack others but I don't have any experience with the lua scripting I just need the code that would help me put a character on the screen an walking around.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: need help

Post by veethree »

What you need is experience with lua scripting and game development.

Rpg's are complicated, You might want to look into making something simpler just to get your feet wet. A good start is a pong clone or a snake clone. You can also follow some of the tutorials on the wiki.
zoro94
Prole

Post by zoro94 »

I need a tool to separate the characters from the sprite image.png what tool is free an I can use
I found some tutorials to get started with hopefully I can learn something here.
steg90
Prole

Post by steg90 »

Should you not have all your characters on one sheet anyway (Sprite sheet)?
CrimsonGuy
Prole

Post by CrimsonGuy »

I watched this tutorials and they seem like a great place to start, but maybe you should read or watch some turtorials on Lua first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUiz1kL0QtI&t=
keharriso
Citizen

Post by keharriso »

The wiki suggests Programming in Lua and the Lua Reference Manual. PIL is relatively beginner-friendly (although it helps a lot if you already know how to program in another language), but the reference manual gets quite technical and in depth about areas you probably don't care about (like the C API). Those two books are how I learned Lua, but if you find a video series or whatever that works for you, then go with that.
LÖVE-Nuklear - a lightweight immediate mode GUI for LÖVE games