ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v1.40 is out; updated LÖVE API for 0.10.1

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

Re: ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v1.40 is out; updated LÖVE API for 0.10.1

Post by paulclinger »

Zireael wrote:Speaking of tips and tricks, the debugger (at least the LOVE one) has a nasty side-effect of a giant slowdown.

It took me roughly half an hour of googling (note: googling, looking at the site failed to point me to the correct page) to learn about require("mobdebug").off and .on

The warning about a possible slowdown and the tip for selective debugging should be up there easily findable and not buried in a debugging article for some language I don't even know about.
@Zirael, as @zorg mentioned, this is not a LOVE issue as it's something that the debugger does. To get the debugging working properly, it turns off jit (as you can't get debug hooks working reliably when jitting) and enables debug hooks, which also slows down the script. The description of on/off calls is in the Debugger section of the documentation (https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-lua-de ... off-and-on), as it's not specific to the LOVE interpreter. I also have it mentioned on the Live coding with LOVE page. In addition to that, it's been discussed in several forum threads. Let me know if you think there is a better place for it to make it easier to find. Thanks. Paul.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

@Zirael, as @zorg mentioned, this is not a LOVE issue as it's something that the debugger does.
I'm aware of that, that's why I posted in this thread.

Live coding with love is not somewhere I'd look for info on LOVE debugger. I looked at http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane ... -debugging

Also atm studio.zerobrane.com throws a DNS resolution error (error 1001)
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Wow, I didn't know about that, I guessed the debugger was just crap
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Zireael wrote:
@Zirael, as @zorg mentioned, this is not a LOVE issue as it's something that the debugger does.
I'm aware of that, that's why I posted in this thread.
Okay, but how you originally wrote it, it did look like you were claiming that the debugger was part of Löve :3
For those not using ZBS, there's no such lib unless we get it ourselves.
Zireael wrote:Live coding with love is not somewhere I'd look for info on LOVE debugger. I looked at http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane ... -debugging
Technically, the live coding part is just a sub-topic on the Lua Debugging page.
https://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-lua-debugging#turning-debugging-off-and-on wrote:You may notice that in some cases the application you are debugging runs much slower than without debugging; when you run it without the debugger the speed is likely to be three to ten times faster. This may be okay for many situations, but in some cases when the application is complex, things may get slow.
Zireael wrote:Also atm studio.zerobrane.com throws a DNS resolution error (error 1001)
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... tion-error
Probably something intermittent, since it loaded for me fine just now.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Zireael wrote:Live coding with love is not somewhere I'd look for info on LOVE debugger. I looked at http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane ... -debugging
Ok; I'll make sure it's mentioned on that page as well.
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

paulclinger, thank you for yer work!
I used ZB at the summer camp to teach some children ( 11 years old ) Lua & Love2D.

The most confusing thing for children was
to set proper root folder / Lua framework.
They got used to it in a day or so. ^__^

I use Idea for my work. It looks as a slowpoke comparing to your ZB. :)
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

D0NM wrote:I used ZB at the summer camp to teach some children ( 11 years old ) Lua & Love2D.
The most confusing thing for children was
to set proper root folder / Lua framework.
They got used to it in a day or so. ^__^
@DONM, thank you for the feedback! I ran into some of the same issues in my classes as well and am open to suggestions on how to deal with them. One idea I had was to have a plugin that would set the interpreter to LOVE only and would set the project directory if/when the user opens main.lua file. Setting `interpreter="love2d"` in the config should select love2d as the interpreter for new projects.

Maybe I should simply add auto-switching projects when main.lua is opened to the love2d interpreter... Not sure if there are any cases when this would be contrary to what the user wants. Prompt the user perhaps?
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

@paulclinger
Your idea of the auto-switching option should work for the children classes. Sure.

Well, I have a suggestion
of having some optional local ZB manifest/config in the project folder.
It might contain the interpreter and be a mark of the root folder of the project.

e.g. if u open a Lua file then the IDE might check 1-3 parents folders levels
(u define the depth in the main ZB config)

And also.
On creating a project with ZB it might ask for the interpreter name and
create a dummy manifest/config for the root folder/interpreter.

And the last.
Having a part your global ZB settings (at least the colouring scheme, IDE language)
in project folders that override the main configuration could be a neat feature.
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

D0NM wrote:@paulclinger
Your idea of the auto-switching option should work for the children classes. Sure.
Ok, I'll think of a way to implement this.

> On creating a project with ZB it might ask for the interpreter name and
> create a dummy manifest/config for the root folder/interpreter.
> Having a part your global ZB settings (at least the colouring scheme, IDE language)
> in project folders that override the main configuration could be a neat feature.

There is Project Settings plugin that implements project specific settings (see this issue for the related discussion). After the package is installed, you can access the project config as `Edit | Preferences | Settings: Project`. Some settings won't have the effect though as they are set when the IDE is launched (like the language and the toolbar content), but many others may be changed (like the plugin configuration, the colouring, anything editor/debugger/search/outline related, and some other settings).
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

I use ZBS for love development on win7/64. I dont know @DONM works on Windows or Linux. On Windows it seems, ZBS finds löve auomatically, if you follow some simple rules:

- I unzipped löve into some folder and created löve-project-folders inside this folder.
- I set the zbs project folder to the löve-project-folder i want to work with.
- I choose love as my lua interpreter in zbs.

It seems, zbs searches the love executable in the parent folder of my zbs project, because it worked out of the box without the need to configure anything inside zbs.