I'm making a tutorial series

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
lost_RD
Prole

I'm making a tutorial series

Post by lost_RD »

I bought a studio microphone for it and everything :3

Here's the first three episodes: [link]

I'll remake each video at some point because they are far from perfect. Feel free to leave constructive criticism :awesome:

For now though, I plan to push through and make a few more videos about the basics of love. After that, I'm going to remake from scratch the only game I've ever completed as another series.

Mostly I'm looking for suggestions on what I should add in or leave out of each of the first three videos when I remake them. Also some input on what to include in a "promotional" style video about Löve that can be the channel's landing page video. I want that video to be the right blend of hype to draw people in and detail to inform them without going overboard on either of those elements.
s-ol
Party member

Re: I'm making a tutorial series

Post by s-ol »

Nice, I'll take a look later. The thumbnails look like I would click if I wanted to learn löve :D

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Pretty good so far. Is it possible for you to record your mouse with the videos? It just kind of bothers me for some reason.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
lost_RD
Prole

Post by lost_RD »

davisdude wrote:Pretty good so far. Is it possible for you to record your mouse with the videos? It just kind of bothers me for some reason.
I had ShowCursor set to 1 (using UScreenCapture) so I can only assume the problem was on VirtualBox's end? I'll see what I can do. I certainly expected the cursor to be visible when I started recording.

Edit: Fixed it! It was UScreenCapture's issue; it didn't like that I had specified a specific monitor (wat :x ).
lost_RD
Prole

Post by lost_RD »

I remade/split episode 3's content into a few videos and rerecorded it/them. In half an hour there should be six videos in the series.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

That's good. I really dislike instructional videos that are long when they could easily be broken into separate videos (I'm looking at you, Handmade Hero).
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim