tvOS (Apple Tv)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
User avatar
undef
Party member
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by undef » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:08 pm

So Apple announced it's new Apple Tv with a new OS called tvOS.
According to Gamasutra tvOS is built on iOS, and what's more interesting App size is capped to 200mb - so I think it would be a great fit for LÖVE.

The downside:
the new box has no local storage for developers, meaning all apps must store/retrieve data remotely via iCloud.
What do you guys think?
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by slime » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:58 pm

I plan to get SDL and LÖVE working on it if possible, however the local storage thing will be a challenge. ;)

The input device (the remote) is also pretty interesting. iOS actually exposes it as a game controller (SDL doesn't have code to deal with iOS game controllers yet though), and it has a built-in accelerometer and touch surface.

User avatar
s-ol
Party member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by s-ol » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:02 pm

slime wrote:I plan to get SDL and LÖVE working on it if possible, however the local storage thing will be a challenge. ;)

The input device (the remote) is also pretty interesting. iOS actually exposes it as a game controller (SDL doesn't have code to deal with iOS game controllers yet though), and it has a built-in accelerometer and touch surface.
seeing that all FS stuff is already streamlined by the love.filesystem API which is looking rather slim, actually there is a good chance of working on it, no?
If the love.filesystem api was lower-level it would be a lot harder to abstract that over network.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2902
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by slime » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm

I haven't looked at the iCloud API (CloudKit) in too much depth, but it seems it's database-oriented and asynchronous, unlike love.filesystem.

User avatar
T-Bone
Inner party member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by T-Bone » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:37 pm

love.filesystem is based on PhysFS. IIRC, more recent builds of PhysFS have support for writing custom low-level functions for reading and writing files, which could probably be used to solve the storage issue.

An alternative solution would be to expose tvOS' APIs to Lua and have developers write custom code for saving on tvOS.

User avatar
s-ol
Party member
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by s-ol » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:40 pm

slime wrote:I haven't looked at the iCloud API (CloudKit) in too much depth, but it seems it's database-oriented and asynchronous, unlike love.filesystem.
Well yes, but if the love.filesystem calls just block to mask a file query then you can deal with that using threads.
Alternatively the files could be buffered in memory.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end

User avatar
undef
Party member
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by undef » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:24 pm

S0lll0s wrote:Alternatively the files could be buffered in memory.
Sounds good to me, LÖVE could check if it's tvOS and if it is, it buffers the file to memory and a callback takes care of uploading it to iCloud.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!

gianmichele
Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by gianmichele » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:51 pm

I think the idea of exposing the iOS api to lua is more future proof than trying to create an alternate API for it. Still thinking about the future, exposing the Android API would help as well. People can always create a common wrapped API in Lua directly if they feel the need.

User avatar
T-Bone
Inner party member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 am

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by T-Bone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:19 am

gianmichele wrote:I think the idea of exposing the iOS api to lua is more future proof than trying to create an alternate API for it. Still thinking about the future, exposing the Android API would help as well. People can always create a common wrapped API in Lua directly if they feel the need.
It goes against the "write once, deploy anywhere" approach we all know and löve.

gianmichele
Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: tvOS (Apple Tv)

Post by gianmichele » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:47 am

T-Bone wrote:It goes against the "write once, deploy anywhere" approach we all know and löve.
Agree but there are some services that you could not possibly think to be able to standardize. Also what I was asking is a simpler binding to those functions not a real wrapper ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests