What Languages Do You Know?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: What Languages Do You Know?

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:He he he. Was that by mistake, or did the teacher actually mean that?
I'm not sure. I think it's just because his English sucks. He also translated "salary" as "försäljning" (sales), so I'm hoping it's just a language problem, and not that he's incompetent.
Or more competent than you thought? ;)

Seriously though, our teacher Programming isn't very well versed in English either. Pronunciation and grammar are both problematic. He pronounced "width and height" as "wit en heet" (Dutch for white and hot), and the classic error message: "Something went terrible wrong."
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I learned, in this order: BASIC, Uscript (which is a copy of Javascript), HTML 4, Snusp, Lua, XHTML, CSS, PHP, LSL
I've also dabbled in: C, Java, Assembly (namely L.in.oleum and ZASM), Ruby, and a tonne of custom scripting languages (like the unnamed one in Bethesda games, for example)
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Taehl wrote:LSL
Woah.. that reminds me, I earned money (virtual, but it still has value) by scripting in Second Life..
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

What's LSL? What does it have to do with Second Life?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If he means the same LSL as I do it's Linden Scripting Language, the script language used in Second Life.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Rightio.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Yeah, that LSL. It basically looks like C, if I remember correctly. I /tried/ earning money by making/scripting stuff, but I guess I just wasn't good enough at marketing myself to really earn much. Made about L$ 1,200 in total, I guess. I made some freakin' awesome stuff, though. Like the lighting effects for a musician's stage. And my avatar wore a working 5-handed (hour, minute, second, day of the week, server lag) watch (with alarms which could be specified on a notecard).
(It's Wednesday, 7:57:27, and server lag is not bad at all)
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
criptych
Prole

Post by criptych »

Let's see here... I'll go with alphabetical order: assembly (Allegrex, ARM7, x86, Z80-DMG), BASIC (mainly QBASIC and Visual Basic), C/C++/C#, HTML, Java, Lua (of course!), Pascal (Turbo Pascal, Delphi), PHP, Python, XML. I've also learned a little D, Javascript, and perl, but not really enough to say I "know" them. There might be some others I missed; I've used a lot of different ones over the years, but I most often use C and Python.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Nice list there. Thanks for your contribution.
FierceForm
Prole

Post by FierceForm »

Well, I still remember how to use these languages pretty clearly: C++, C#, HTML, SQL, Lua and ActionScript 2. I've done a little bit of these languages at one time or another: Python, Javascript, CSS, PHP, classic ASP, Java, HLSL, GLSL, Ruby, XML and Perl.
-FierceForm