What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
partnano
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by partnano »

Jasoco wrote:
I got a bit overwhelmed with my 3D engine and platformer projects so I decided to do something a bit simpler. So I'm trying to create an old style GameBoy engine from the Link's Awakening days. It's not supposed to be a Zelda clone by any means, who knows what it'll be. That's to be decided if anything.
Your work constantly leaves me astonished (and makes me feel a bit inadequate) :D
I would love to see the code behind this! I mean I could imagine how most of this works, but the actual implementation would be cool to see...
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

partnano wrote:
Jasoco wrote: ...
Your work constantly leaves me astonished (and makes me feel a bit inadequate) :D
I would love to see the code behind this! I mean I could imagine how most of this works, but the actual implementation would be cool to see...
Yeah, his demos always look really advanced and smooth. I wonder what happend to the Super Mario Editor / Game.

btw, I'm still working on my tile templates. I think I gonna release the finished tilesets in the "Free game resources" thread for others to work with. Here is the latest progress on the "Candy Land" tileset, still some work to do:
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

MadByte wrote: Image
cool stuff!

I'm finally done with my LÖVE sharing website.

Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

partnano wrote:Your work constantly leaves me astonished (and makes me feel a bit inadequate) :D
Thanks. If only I could remain focused enough to actually stay on one project at a time.

Which code are you most interested in? The palette is pretty much right there and easy as pie to implement.
A bit of pseudocode that would have to be modified:

Code: Select all

nesShader:send("color1", {0,0,0,255})
nesShader:send("color2", {0,0,0,255})
nesShader:send("color3", {0,0,0,255})
nesShader:send("color4", {0,0,0,255})
lgr.setShader(nesShader)

-- Whatever you're drawing. The greyscale image basically with 4 shades of white, grey and black.

lgr.setShader()
You'd have to replace the {0,0,0,255} with each color you want to replace in order from the lightest white pixels for color 1 to the darkest black pixels with color 4. The two shades in between would be between 63 and 127 red for the lighter grey and between 128 and 191 red for the darker one. The Alpha channel is always 255 to make it authentic, unless specifically making the pixel transparent in which case it'd be 0. You could modify the shader to do more than 4 colors if you need to. Just remember the more values you have to send into a shader, the slower the game can run. Right now I'd be sending 4 values for every image, of which there might be around 300, every frame. For a total of about 1200 vec4 variables being sent into the shader every frame.

The scripting? Well the system isn't done and it's quite complicated. I'd have to offer it as a whole for it to even be usable. I'd rather that happen when I'm sure it works fine. It's not done and there are plenty of other modules to write.
partnano
Prole

Post by partnano »

Jasoco wrote: Which code are you most interested in? The palette is pretty much right there and easy as pie to implement.
A bit of pseudocode that would have to be modified:
Huh, simpler than I expected.
Jasoco wrote: The scripting? Well the system isn't done and it's quite complicated. I'd have to offer it as a whole for it to even be usable. I'd rather that happen when I'm sure it works fine. It's not done and there are plenty of other modules to write.
D'aww, too bad, would have loved to see that, since I attempted a bit of a dialogue-and-more scripting language a while ago and still am playing around with a few ideas to abstract certain aspect of gamedev-ing a little more.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The hardest part of a scripting system is dealing with script modules that require time.

It's quite simple in concept but the code is complicated because of the various parsers for my scripting "language".

In time I'll try and explain it. I want to flesh it out a bit more.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Sorry to double post but I'd say this warrants a separate block of text. I promise I'll create a thread for this eventually. As long as I keep working on it.

Palette editor. The game has a main palette of 64 potential colors. This is where you can edit it. You can change the RGB values. You can move colors around. And you can copy them. I really need to settle on a palette though. Whether it's 64 or 32 or 128. Right now I'm using a slightly modified NES palette.

Then during the game, you set up a bunch of palette groups of 4 colors. There'll be a limit to how many you can have at once, and you'd be able to add, remove or change groups any time you want, but right now there isn't an editor for that.

Then every tile (image that gets drawn) can have a group associated with it. So you might make a palette that's used for a specific enemy. So when you draw that enemy, you'd use that palette. Or you might have a palette used for a specific wall type or a color scheme for a dungeon's walls. (One dungeon might be green, another blue, another pink. Zelda did this.) Or you might use one group for one part of a sprite (Torch base) and another for another part of the sprite (The flame) and one of those groups might be changed rapidly (The flickering) using palette rotating or swapping. (Haven't figured out how I'll implement this yet.) Remember each sprite or tile is made up of 8x8 pixel sections. These are individually colored using their own palettes. (I'm cheating right now and not using a strictly NES method. The NES could have 3 colors and transparent per tile. I use 4 + transparent. I might change that eventually. Or I might expand. I don't know yet.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Jasoco wrote:The hardest part of a scripting system is dealing with script modules that require time.

It's quite simple in concept but the code is complicated because of the various parsers for my scripting "language".

In time I'll try and explain it. I want to flesh it out a bit more.
What's your motivation for implementing a lower-level scripting language?
Won't Lua code as coroutines fulfill the same job(s) and more easily?

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

s-ol wrote:What's your motivation for implementing a lower-level scripting language?
Won't Lua code as coroutines fulfill the same job(s) and more easily?
Because that's not nearly as fun or challenging. Plus I wouldn't have any idea how to implement that.
shru
Prole

Post by shru »

Is anyone else working on anything cute for Ludum Dare?

itchtwittergithub