Music

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
saiko-chriskun
Prole

Music

Post by saiko-chriskun »

Hey guys! New here. Just wondering what most people use for background music and such for their games. Is there a decent resource out there? Do you make your own?
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Music

Post by nevon »

In this very subforum, there's a stickied thread devoted to free (always as in beer, usually as in freedom) resources. http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12
saiko-chriskun
Prole

Post by saiko-chriskun »

I actually did come across that :P. Wasn't sure how up to date it was kept, and most of the links are kind of meh (some even dead.) Is that what most use? I also wanted to get an idea of how many actually develop their own sounds.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

saiko-chriskun wrote:I actually did come across that :P. Wasn't sure how up to date it was kept, and most of the links are kind of meh (some even dead.) Is that what most use? I also wanted to get an idea of how many actually develop their own sounds.
1: computer with awesome sound card
2: computer with awesome processor
3: computer with awesome sound recording software
4: instruments and equipment for hooking up instruments to computer
5: epical talent.

I have none of the above, so I hire the8bitmoon for making sounds. :P
Hello, I am not dead.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

saiko-chriskun wrote:I actually did come across that :P. Wasn't sure how up to date it was kept, and most of the links are kind of meh (some even dead.) Is that what most use? I also wanted to get an idea of how many actually develop their own sounds.
Please point out the dead links. I didn't find any when I did the wiki page (you can also edit them out yourself, if you feel like it)

(Also, for a moment I thought you were a fellow Saikyō-ryū practitioner. Alas, it seems you are not)
When I write def I mean function.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

There are audio production software like Ableton (what I use) and Fruity Loops (what everyone uses). From there you could download VST's to make your music sound 8-bit, or you could just work with the default sounds.
@rynesaur
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I use Propellerhead Reason and Record for my 8bit sounds?
Jessica
Prole

Post by Jessica »

GarageBand and some apps I have on my iPhone. Nice to have a synthesizer on the go whenever I come up with something in my head that could work for future work.
Jessica
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I like Musagi. It's free, small, fast, and pretty powerful. It's made for chipmusic and other old game sounds, and comes with simple synthesizers so you can very easily make your own chip instruments. It's quite a bit easier to use than other things I've tried (Modplug Tracker and FL Studio). I highly recommend it.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.