Tower Jack (An Infinite Tower Game)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sphyrth
Party member

Tower Jack (An Infinite Tower Game)

Post by sphyrth »

https://sphyrth.itch.io/towerjack

I'm just trying out this "itch.io" thing since I've been living in a cave for the past 5 years.
MadByte
Party member

Re: Tower Jack (An Infinite Tower Game)

Post by MadByte »

Must be a cozy cave to stay 5 years in it :neko:

Cool game, feels very retro. My first thought was "Lode Runner" because of the breaking through the platforms :D
I think the progression at the beginning is way to slow though, it could take up pace much faster imo.
Maybe adding some more gameplay elements like running bots or mines or whatever as the level progresses could make it even more fun to play.

I had a weird flickering issue with the scaling in fullscreen:

Looks kinda like a driver related issue that I've never seen before (I'm using Manjaro Linux), But maybe you have another idea why this happens.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

MadByte wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 am I had a weird flickering issue with the scaling in fullscreen:
Gonna fix my itch.io later, but for now. I made a quick patch below (removed flickering and gave a little bit faster progession).
Project Tower Jack.love
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
I think my mistake was that I put love.graphics.setScissor() inside love.draw()... if that's it then, I didn't know you can just call it once. I hope that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the feedback! I made it as casual as possible, even to the point of reducing the max speed just below my skill level. But, yes, your suggestions (other game elements) were an idea... even a story mode and selectable characters. But I think I should save that for 2.0 or something.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Flickering is still present for me. I really think this might be a issue with my mesa drivers.. I've seen something similar while using the latest dev drivers at some point, but never in a löve game before and also never while using the stable release versions. Maybe I'll take a look into it later.
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Tower Jack (The Tower Really Hates You)

Post by sphyrth »

Because my friends made fun of my character's head bumping, I ended up putting 2 new enemies as well.
https://sphyrth.itch.io/towerjack/devlo ... ew-enemies
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Great update, the new enemies do add a welcome level of difficulty to the game.
btw. I found that setScissor indeed is the problem with the flickering on linux. Commenting out line 23 in "screen.lua" does "fix" the flickering for me.