The Laser Cell

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sphyrth
Party member

The Laser Cell

Post by sphyrth »

I'll admit. The creator of Flappy Box inspired me to make a Simple-but-Fun game.
Laser Cell.love
(86.56 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
What I love most is that this brought me back to the concept of Coding is More Fun than Playing.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: The Laser Cell

Post by Germanunkol »

91. Then I found out that not only the pixel with the laser on it, but also the neighboring pixel is dangerous :)

I didn't know Flappy Box, but I like this - when it suddenly starts picking up the pace, there's so much going on :D
Maybe make the neighboring pixel also light up, but only a bit?
Also, I think after wave two I was saved by the wave ending - there was a laser about to go off on my left but then it didn't due to the wave ending. Maybe let all lasers go off when the wave ends, just don't spawn any more?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I believe the OP meant Floppy Box, which is a few lines down the Games and Creations list of threads at the time of writing this :) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=87407
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Yeah, I did mean Floppy Box. While most say it's fun, you SHOULD check out that game's code. It's so clean and beautiful that it makes a great case for WhiteSpace > Tabs and Consistent Programming Practice with () and ;.
Germanunkol wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:42 pm Also, I think after wave two I was saved by the wave ending - there was a laser about to go off on my left but then it didn't due to the wave ending. Maybe let all lasers go off when the wave ends, just don't spawn any more?
The (fixed) Wave Time is independent on the (getting faster) Laser Time. I was also saved by that Wave Time a couple of times, but I considered it a bug. Not to mention that the game might be trying to fire the same wall at the same time.

I refined my code as well as address that issue. If you want that it's in here:
Project Laser Cell 1.2.love
(87.99 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

178! :)

I like how each wave dies off slowly at the end now...
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de