Mino Bueno, a customizable Tetris clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
eouppdru
Prole

Mino Bueno, a customizable Tetris clone

Post by eouppdru »

Video trailer: https://streamable.com/6wj1k

1519733726.jpg
1519733726.jpg (249.55 KiB) Viewed 15776 times
1519732503.jpg
1519732503.jpg (200.25 KiB) Viewed 15776 times
Mino Bueno is a Tetris clone that lets you mix and match parts from other tetris games. Go to "Game Mode Settings" and change the style, there's a few of them, and a lot of options to tweak. I mostly made the game because I like playing Tetris on my phone, and I really like the style of some games in the series but prefer modern controls and mechanics.
The TODO list is long, and there are a lot of options that aren't exposed yet (they are only applied when you set the style defaults) but it's relatively bug free. The code isn't great, but it should be relatively easy for anyone to add a new style, set of pieces, set of sound effects or music, etc. I welcome contributions if you want to simulate another title.

The game is free software, licensed under GPL3. This only applies to the code however, since it contains assets (graphics and sounds) from old games. I'm not sure how I want to license the original assets yet, so for now I'll put it under the relatively restrictive CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. I don't follow all the specific conventions like putting the header in every bit of source code, really I just want everyone to know the game respects your freedom.

I also have a version with lossless audio that's about 250MB, and I wanted to host it as a torrent but for some reason I can't get it to work... PM me if you can help with that. I know Mari0 and Not Tetris 2 for instance are still around, but I don't want this game to disappear or become hard to find. And 250MB isn't exactly convenient. I also have a PGP key so you can verify future releases, see my signature and the game's About page. Forums do not allow me to attach the .sig file, I'll find another way eventually...
Attachments
mino-bueno_v0.5-vorbis.love
(56.94 MiB) Downloaded 287 times
Last edited by eouppdru on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PGP: 9D05F9CC4FB3DEA617ADCDDA355A9D99CBE1CC1B
Mehawesome
Prole

Re: Mino Bueno, a customizable Tetris clone

Post by Mehawesome »

Wow that's a good game, managed to score 7796 points. :D
ok
eouppdru
Prole

Post by eouppdru »

apparently there's not much interest in the game here... anyway, post updated to version 0.2, which changes the rain style to an "airship" theme. see the video:
https://streamable.com/uk732
it's a bit of a performance killer, runs okay on the desktop, not so much on mobile. note the real-time reflections on the table and lamp. the diffuse reflections are not very physically accurate and the furnishings are sparse, I plan to address both issues in a future update.

changes:
finished initial “rain” effect mode, with reflections and other fancy stuff.
fixed some graphical bugs
fix lock delay not resetting in infinite spin when rotating
fix warning text being too large
fix collision sfx sometimes not playing, and sometimes playing every frame instead of once
better snow effect in the menu with new options
1521450925.png
1521450925.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 15416 times
eouppdru
Prole

Post by eouppdru »

updated again
edit: forgot to mention, sometimes parts of the game may appear black, if so go to "Game Mode Settings -> Style" and press enter to reload the style. seems to be a love 11.0 bug with canvases.
changes:
updated to love 11.0
SFX are now paused instead of stopped when pausing the game
fixed sound bug where you couldn't change the album
improved “rain” style significantly with a 3D cloud shader, a day/night cycle, lightning when storming, more stuff on the table, higher quality renders, and graphics for things like your score and next piece
1522654662.jpg
1522654662.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 15227 times
HanaIndiana
Prole

Post by HanaIndiana »

I love Tetris, this game is very welldone! Lots of options. And gave me a good excuse to download the new version 11.
eouppdru
Prole

Post by eouppdru »

here's another update, started work on it after a long wait.
for some reason I can't seem to add this file to the main post, it only shows 1 of the 3 attachments, and it's a picture not the game file. perhaps an admin can sort that out.

most changes are under the hood, which at least makes it easier to add new styles.
changes:
added smooth left/right sliding
support for analog joysticks (such as 8bitdo dpads)
added motion blur and piece lock effects from lockjaw
better save data handling
added hold piece to sega style
added (though not completed) super tetris next piece
lots of bug fixes, probably enough new bugs to make up for it

next up is more settings, a new style, and improved performance of the rain style.
report any issues here, I've made a lot of major changes under the hood.
Last edited by eouppdru on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baggef
Prole

Post by Baggef »

You deserve way more attention for this amount of effort! All I recommend is a controls screen to either show controls or customize them, some game modes from tetris entries, and other minor improvements. But those are really just adding onto a very well made project. I did have a crash in tengen mode, right as the music looped, although i don't know if that was the cause. Other than that, very well done!

Edit: It has crashed again at the part where the music loops on cylinder
gaeem defelpmint is maiy pashin
Itch: Freakman
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Baggef wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm Edit: It has crashed again at the part where the music loops on cylinder
Sounds like a known OpenAL issue on 11.1 and 11.2. Updating OpenAL (or using the 11.3 development build of LÖVE) could fix this.
eouppdru
Prole

Post by eouppdru »

so, it's been a while and I wasn't really planning on releasing another version (years later lol) but I discovered the RNG was really buggy because of a typo, so v0.5 is in the main post now with a few other fixes:
more efficient rain effect, and better SFX
disabled the weird high DPI thing now that it's an option in 11.3 (though I think android ignores it for some reason???)
smoother FPS in low-latency mode
fixed some crashes and minor graphical bugs

the game still has a TODO list like 600 lines long and it's far from finished but I still play it on occasion.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Pretty cool game. I don't know how many times I accidentally pressed up, constantly creating unreachable spaces. Doh!
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."