Sokoban clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
grunk
Prole

Sokoban clone

Post by grunk »

Hello everyone :awesome:
The last couple days I have been working on a Sokoban-clone. There are currently no sounds, but other than that I am pretty happy with the result. I have tried to keep instructions about the game at a minimum, so if things don't make sense please let me know and I will try to fix it :)

The project is on GitHub. Here you wil find the .love file: https://github.com/grunkgrunk/sokoban.

Best regards,
grunkgrunk
Pebsie
Party member

Re: Sokoban clone

Post by Pebsie »

grunk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 pm Hello everyone :awesome:
The last couple days I have been working on a Sokoban-clone. There are currently no sounds, but other than that I am pretty happy with the result. I have tried to keep instructions about the game at a minimum, so if things don't make sense please let me know and I will try to fix it :)

The project is on GitHub. Here you wil find the .love file: https://github.com/grunkgrunk/sokoban.

Best regards,
grunkgrunk

This is extremely cool. The blocks breaking down and rebuilding is awesome. GJ!
(I should also mention that the .love file on the repo doesn't seem to work, I had to download the whole thing and rename the zip)
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
grunk
Prole

Post by grunk »

Thanks for the kind words Pebsie :) Woops didn't notice the .love file didn't work. It should be fixed now :)
RagingDave
Prole

Post by RagingDave »

This looks so awesome! I really love the graphics style. Looks perfectly polished and slick.
Now it's time to add some sounds! :)

Another small thing: if you solve a level you should automatically select the next one in the level selection screen.
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Awesome stuff :D
grunk
Prole

Post by grunk »

RagingDave wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 am This looks so awesome! I really love the graphics style. Looks perfectly polished and slick.
Now it's time to add some sounds! :)

Another small thing: if you solve a level you should automatically select the next one in the level selection screen.
So happy to hear that you like it!! You are right, adding sounds would make the game feel more finished. I just have difficulties finding the right ones, but I probably haven't looked enough for them :)

Thanks for the input! :awesome: I have thought about this too. Hmm maybe it shouldn't return to level select when winning - maybe it should just take you to the next level directly? One thing I like about it currently is the text that is displayed on top of the level you just completed so the player knows the level is completed and that he can proceed to the next.
SirRanjid
Prole

Post by SirRanjid »

How about automatically loading the next level once solved and use the dis-/assemble as transition animation more seamlessly? Also when adding sounds how about making those flying particles react to it and having some in the background like a stream?
I could imagine it adding to the atmosphere.

But it's your game and a real good looking one... lets see how it plays :3
grunk
Prole

Post by grunk »

SirRanjid wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm How about automatically loading the next level once solved and use the dis-/assemble as transition animation more seamlessly? Also when adding sounds how about making those flying particles react to it and having some in the background like a stream?
I could imagine it adding to the atmosphere.

But it's your game and a real good looking one... lets see how it plays :3
Great ideas! So you think you think it shouldn't return to level-select when completing a level? I can totally follow that. It might give a better flow, if the game takes you to the next level directly :)
It would be SO cool if the game reacted to the music somehow. Also really like the idea of having something happening in the background. Currently there is not much happening animation-wise when playing a level, and that's maybe a bit too boring. Will see what I can do!
RagingDave
Prole

Post by RagingDave »

When you said it should react to music an idea popped up in my mind. How about let the user load it's own music (I usually prefer to hear my own music when doing puzzle style games). You could then make a (very) light pulse-like effect on the cubes forming your level.

This is totally rough and I think one needs to play around with it to see if it is cool at all!

EDIT:
regarding the automatic level switching:
What I would do is just add one thing. After the level has disassembled and you are back to the selection automatically do what would happen if you press 'right'.. so to say just preselect the next level so you only have to hit space to continue.

You can also mark the solved levels somehow.. you could even put all the stats directly above or below the level image.. a foot symbol for moves, a clock for time and a hand for pushes or something..

Sorry if this is too much idea talk :)
SirRanjid
Prole

Post by SirRanjid »

@grunk: Yeah since you still have esc to go back. Automatically loading would keep your players longer playing your game without thinking about it^^

Reacting to music can be done with some FFT magic applied to the up and right direction of the audio from love.audio.getOrientation I guess (getting more into that when I write my fft function). And maybe own music could be handled via drag&drop (https://love2d.org/wiki/love.filedropped)

EDIT: here's a MIT-licensed(i guess) lua-fft module: https://github.com/h4rm/luafft/blob/mas ... luafft.lua