Made a game for my daughter.

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Made a game for my daughter.

Post by zerocoolisgod »

This is the first thing I've made that could be considered an actual game. I made it for my girl, she's 4 and loves messing around with my old NES games.

Its kind of a Mega Man clone. I'm having a blast writing it. It forced me to learn how to do basic pixel art, but it has highlighted the fact that I have no idea how to design levels or sound and music.

Anyway here it is. Feel free to let me know what you like or don't like about the gameplay. Seeing as that's all there is. Also, any tips for how or where to learn to make chip tune style music and sound effects would be awesome. There is some opengameart music in there but I muted it, and will be replacing it with original stuff as soon as i learn how to make it.
title_screen.png
title_screen.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 11092 times
Controls
movement: w,a,s,d
action1: j
jump: k
start: space
select: tab change weapons from a regular bubble to fire bubbles.
quit: q / esc (to be changed or removed later)
debug: f1
fullscreen: f11
reset: f12

Controls can be remapped by pressing select at the title screen.

Level select is tuned on at the title screen to help with level testing.
Will be removed later or kept as a "cheat code".

********updated build********
I'll be tagging them with a (year month day) to keep track of updates.

Update 2017-05-27
- complete GUI overhaul
- enemy spawners
- level work
- sub weapon system
- dragonflies (candles from Castlevania)
- enemies have a chance of dropping health or sub weapon energy

Update 2017-09-25
Its all but a full game now.
- 16 levels over 4 acts
- A Boss Fight
- Music by Eric Skiff http://ericskiff.com/music/

Working on
- Re arrange the music
- Refined Sprite work, give each enemy a more distinct look.
- character select; just palette swaps and a “prince”, the kid likes picking from the different colored princesses, I might connect the palette swaps to the different sub weapons like mega man.

- general balancing
item drops rates
enemy damage and placement
etc.
Attachments
princess_game_20170925.love
(59.84 MiB) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by zerocoolisgod on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
zorg
Party member

Re: Made a game for my daughter.

Post by zorg »

Hint: Your Windows is making you think that not paying attention to letter case is something you can get away with. I'm blaming windows, not you though, but the end result is, zip files are, just like any sane OS, case-sensitive, so the löve file errors, because "globals.all" doesn't exist (since you named it "ALL", all-caps). :o:

Other than that, it seems to work perfectly fine, good game. :3
Last edited by zorg on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

Oh, you running it on Linux? I have ubuntu on a laptop I haven't tested on it in a while and I recently refactored. I'll clean up all the miss case errors and re upload. Thanks for the heads up.
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

Also I forgot to say, select (tab) will change weapons from a regular bubble to fire bubbles.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

No, i'm on win7, but since .love files are zip archives, and zip archives are internally case-sensitive (unlike windows), it will error if you package it up, but it will miraculously work (on windows os-es) if you run it unpacked. That said, it will error for all unices (linux), and probably osx-es (mac) as well.

(Also, you have an edit icon next to your post, please use that instead of double-posting :3)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

zorg wrote:No, i'm on win7, but since .love files are zip archives, and zip archives are internally case-sensitive (unlike windows), it will error if you package it up, but it will miraculously work (on windows os-es) if you run it unpacked. That said, it will error for all unices (linux), and probably osx-es (mac) as well.

(Also, you have an edit icon next to your post, please use that instead of double-posting :3)
Easy way to fix this for all future developers is that when you're ready to make a .love and distribute it, actually run the love file so you ensure nothing's going to immediately crash. I run Win10 and I just make sure the love runs all good before I distro.

Just FYI to the op, it crashes on launch with this:

"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

Now I swear I tested it before I uploaded it the first time. But eh. I fixed it here is the new one.
Last edited by zerocoolisgod on Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4aiman
Party member

Post by 4aiman »

Debian Linux here, works just fine! :)
*VERY* Nice game! :ultrahappy:
(Although it makes me feel kinda stupid for developing a Megaman-inspired game for *that* long myself... :oops: :cry: )
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

Thank you very much :awesome:
And you shouldn't feel stupid. The world needs more Mega Man and Mega Man type games. ;)
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

I added 3 new environments and messed with the players balancing.
*first post has been updated with the current build*
Last edited by zerocoolisgod on Sat May 27, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.