Dragon Story

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ryne
Party member

Dragon Story

Post by Ryne »

Dragon Story is a Mini-RPG where you run around and fight monsters and stuff, it's also the successor to my "Scary Monsters" idea. For the most part, it's a roguelike with a lot of substance. The idea is for the world to be vast, rich with puzzles to solve, creatures to fight, and places to explore. The screenshots above are just teasers for the art-style, which is just initial right now. This will look 10 times better in a few days.

Controls
- Arrow keys to move, X to attack, and c to select/special. "Special" can include grabbing objects to push or pull them.

HP
- HP is regained by killing enemies and obtaining "Hearts". If you are at a low HP weak enemies will have a higher drop-rate for hearts. This might seem like it would make the game easy, but it will only make the easy parts easier, once you fight stronger creatures you won't be able to heal as quickly.

Enemies
- Enemies are basically suppose to be sub-forms of Dragons, this might not be as defined since the graphic style is tiny, but they'll range from lizard all the way up to full-fledged Dragons. There will also be skeletons and stuff in dungeons.

Non-Playables
- NPC's in the game will range from other people, to small non-violent creatures.

Wana Help?
- I'd really like some help with level design. Creating tiles and objects and stuff is simple, but I seem to have difficulty thinking of layouts for areas. PM me if it's something you'd like to do. Once I have a solid tile set I'll send you it and you can just play around with it. I guess this would mean you'd need to have Photoshop, or some other image editor.
Last edited by Ryne on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
@rynesaur
coffee
Party member

Re: Dragon Story

Post by coffee »

So, this also mean Scary Monsters is ditched? Seems all very nice and I love roguelikes. Good luck for project.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

coffee wrote:So, this also mean Scary Monsters is ditched? Seems all very nice and I love roguelikes. Good luck for project.
Haha, no. Scary Monsters kind of evolved into this. All my ideas are still relatively the same. The art-style changed a little but it will start to look a little more like my old screenshots soon enough. I wanted more colour, I found creating different areas for the old art style was difficult. So I created a new style with ease-of-creation in mind.
@rynesaur
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Ryne wrote:
coffee wrote:So, this also mean Scary Monsters is ditched? Seems all very nice and I love roguelikes. Good luck for project.
Haha, no. Scary Monsters kind of evolved into this. All my ideas are still relatively the same. The art-style changed a little but it will start to look a little more like my old screenshots soon enough. I wanted more colour, I found creating different areas for the old art style was difficult. So I created a new style with ease-of-creation in mind.
Well ok. If after all is basically the same and just an evolution I wasn't quite expecting a change of thread so sorry if I got "confused".
One thing:
Mini-RPG
and
world to be vast
don't mix so well (unless the objective is have areas not intended to be explored). :)
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

coffee wrote:
Ryne wrote:
One thing:
Mini-RPG
and
world to be vast
don't mix so well (unless the objective is have areas not intended to be explored). :)
Haha, I kind-of meant "Mini" as in the art-style, not the scale of the game. Sorry for the confusion. :)
@rynesaur
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Once again I love it. I just wish you would release something with this art style. What happened to Scary Monsters? I like the idea of it being a mini RPG though. I had an idea once of a completely pre-generated randomized RPG where it would generate everything from scratch including a story composed of many different tropes. All the overworld map sections, the dungeons and the towns would all be new every time you started a new game.

Edit: DON'T STEAL MY IDEA LOLOLOLOL!!! Okay, do. Whatever. One day I'll make it.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:What happened to Scary Monsters?
It's like Pokemon! Evolved he says! :D
Jasoco wrote:I had an idea once of a completely pre-generated randomized RPG where it would generate everything from scratch including a story composed of many different tropes. All the overworld map sections, the dungeons and the towns would all be new every time you started a new game.
It fits well in roguelike concept and creed. But not really an original idea, don't worry if someone "steals" that! But I hope you keep it as project after Lovestein. More rogues made in Love would be nice. :)
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

Jasoco wrote:I had an idea once of a completely pre-generated randomized RPG where it would generate everything from scratch including a story composed of many different tropes. All the overworld map sections, the dungeons and the towns would all be new every time you started a new game.
So the idea is to take one of the main aspects of an RPG and turn it into Mad Libs?...

tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Jasoco wrote: I had an idea once of a completely pre-generated randomized RPG where it would generate everything from scratch including a story composed of many different tropes. All the overworld map sections, the dungeons and the towns would all be new every time you started a new game.
My first thought:
tentus wrote:Oh, he's gonna make a game for Hans von Hozel.
I'd play it.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
AaronWizard
Citizen

Post by AaronWizard »

For what it's worth, that was how the side quests in Daggerfall worked.