Wanderer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Fenrir
Party member

Re: Wanderer

Post by Fenrir »

Germanunkol wrote:Oh wow, you've taken that glow effect to a whole new level.
I'm glad someone got inspired by the post :)!
That looks really awesome - absolutely professional shield effect. Well done!
Thanks for your comment! Your article is really great, and actually when searching for outline effects on google it's one of the first to pop out! :)

Big news today, we started a Collective campaign:
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/140/wanderer

Don't hesitate to leave feedbacks about the presentation! :)
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Hey guys,

Here's a glimpse of what I've been working recently:

We're animating the environment to make everything less static, and to add those waves I'm using LoveVideo:
https://github.com/josefnpat/LoveVideo
Thanks a lot to josefnpat for this library! But I must admit that it doesn't totally fit my needs, I mostly have some performances issues with it, even if it allows to keep the framerate high, uploading the textures it creates to the GPU makes really annoying micro-freezes. It's not noticeable when just watching a video without interacting, but when you move the player it's really disturbing. My current workaround was to modify the conversion script to create textures of 1020*1024 pixels maximum instead of 2048*2048, and to scale down as much as possible my video to have the maximum of frames per files. And thanks to the "lo-fi" style of the game it's acceptable.

So I'll clearly come back to this topic later to find another solution when I'll have more time, I saw some experiments of native video support in Love I need to try... :)
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

Wow! Very beautiful. One of the things I was going to suggest after seeing the screenshots on the original posts was some clouds or dust between the environment and the camera. That looks very nice. Great art style, I freaking love the animations too.
Lugen
Prole

Post by Lugen »

Seen this project before over at TIG but wasn't aware that it's made with Löve, which was a pleasant surprise.

I don't have any useful feedback to give right now, more than I really like the look of this, and I appreciate that you share your solutions. I'd be quite interested in knowing more about the editor, particularly how the levels are constructed. Is it mostly pre-made assets or is there some procedural elements to it as well?

Looking forward to updates!
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Nice job!

I'm glad LoveVideo is getting you part of the way!

Perhaps what you could do is only draw the waves with LoveVideo? might be tricky in the end. Here's to theora support in 0.10.0!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks for the comments guys!
Is it mostly pre-made assets or is there some procedural elements to it as well?
Everything is pre-made, we're not going for procedural at all. Currently the editor is totally custom made, it's integrated to the game and mostly based on LoveFrames, here's a quick look at it:

Perhaps what you could do is only draw the waves with LoveVideo?
Yep it's already what I'm doing, it's just a video of 310*108 pixels (17 seconds, it generates 17 files of 1024 pixels max) that I add on top of my static background. And actually I'm currently updating a bit your library as I noticed that it crops the last frames of the video if it can't make it enter in a full "mega tile", and it's problematic for me as I want my video to loop. I'll let you know how it goes! :)
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

awesome! If you find a bug, please open a ticket and if you fixed it, offer a pull request or tell me how you fixed it!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

josefnpat wrote:awesome! If you find a bug, please open a ticket and if you fixed it, offer a pull request or tell me how you fixed it!
I made some small modifications and it's working great now, video is looping like a charm! Here's what I've done:
- First I modified your generation script to not stop when reaching the last "full" mega-tile, I create a last one with the remaining frames (and I make sure this mega tile as the same overall size that the other ones), and I add to the info.lua file the number of frames in this last mega tile.
- I modified the reading code to take into account this last file and stop when reaching the last quad from it.

I'll be able to share it of course but I still need to clean it a bit before, I hard coded some specific tweaks I wanted (like removing some pixels from each frame), I'll make it configurable!

Apart from that, I started to work on some UI elements, like dialogues:

For the text, I'm using this library:
https://github.com/adonaac/popo
I like the control it gives per character, and so far it fits my needs pretty well, I'll see how it goes.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Hi guys,

We're getting close to having a first alpha build of the game! :) For now it's just to share it privately to get some first feedback about the game. Here's some screenshots:

Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

This looks better and better.

Well done!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de