Wanderer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Fenrir
Party member

Wanderer

Post by Fenrir »

Hi guys,

I think it's time to properly introduce my current project here:

Wanderer is a 2D, lo-res Sci-fi cinematic platformer/adventure game that tells the tale of a man named Rook, a greying convict who wakes from cold sleep as prisoner on an orbital prison facility that’s crash landed on the ruins of an abandoned Earth. With the guidance of a hacker named Jin and the aid of a ragtag group of survivors, Rook must navigate the station and the wilds of Earth, struggling to survive against dangerous prisoners and the bizarre extradimensional beasts that haunt the dead planet.

Wanderer is a cinematic platformer at it’s core, a modernized take on classics like Another World, Flashback, and Heart of Darkness. But around this framework, we’re taking bits and pieces of mechanics and ideas that we love from other genres (such as oldschool JRPGs, Bioware-style Western RPGs, classic point’n’click adventures, and Telltale-style narrative experiences) and weaving them into a unique atmospheric story driven adventure-RPG.
I started to work on it 3 months ago, I joined an artist on this project. So far I mostly worked on the platforming part (including pathfinding for NPCs), as well as on the editor which is integrated to the game.

And lately I worked on the "adventure" side: interacting with point of interests, looting objects, managing the inventory and triggering scripts (working in LUA is very handy for that! :) )

Don't hesitate to visit our current website for more info (http://wanderer-game.com/, we also have a devlog on TIGSource), and also don't hesitate if you have any question or comment! I'll try to update this topic with more specific content concerning LÖVE!

Our current plan is actually to do a Kickstarter campaign to fund the game (probably in September), as currently I'm still only working on it on my free time, so stay tuned for more info about it!

And finally I would like to really thanks this community, as besides LÖVE the game is heavily based on awesome libraries I found here (Tween, Bump, LoveFrame...).
Last edited by Fenrir on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Wanderer

Post by Jeeper »

Looks very interesting, looking forward to seeing more about what the gameplay will be etc.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

The art in this game is beautiful. I wish you luck on your project!
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Wishing you the best of luck, outstanding artwork, I hope the project will live up to it :)

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I already said it in another post, but it looks super cool :)
When I write def I mean function.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

As everyone says, beautiful artwork. Wish you the best of luck with the project! :)
BossAdventure
Prole

Post by BossAdventure »

The graphics are very advanced, great 8/10
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Something which may benefit the LÖVE community and we were asked a lot is actually console versions of the game (PS4 and XBOne), we'll see how it goes for the KS campaign but it is definitely something we consider for a stretch goal (well we already hope we'll reach our initial goal). But I would be pleased to work on porting LÖVE to consoles!
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I'm curious - how exactly did you implement the "edge grab" condition on that plaforming gif?

I can think of several options, but I'm curious about which one did you use, exactly :)
When I write def I mean function.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

The solution I'm using is visible is this screenshot with debug outputs:

I'm using a grab box enabled when the player can grab a ledge (the yellow box on the player), and the ledges are represented by small boxes on the corner of the colliders, when my grab box collide with a ledge the character grab it. On Bump side, I'm using a specific world for it, everything colliding with cross filter, and to be more precise I'm even using a specific world for right ledges and left ones, and I'm choosing the world to use depending on the player direction, to avoid colliding with a ledge "behind" the player.

It's working quite well so far, and I can easily turn a collider to be "grab-able" or not, I just add or remove the ledges boxes from the Bump world. Here is a more complex platforming screen with all colliders and ledges: