Move or Die | Löve game on Steam!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
qaisjp
Party member

Re: Move or Die | Löve game on Steam!

Post by qaisjp »

SiENcE wrote:
qaisjp wrote:
SiENcE wrote:How do you do Steam integration?
We plan to do Steam integration by writing bindings for the SteamWorks API in C++ (or obtain it from the wonderful world of open source github) and calling functions in Lua.
Can you say some bit about the steam integration and how you did it? I also plan todo it and currently i don't know where to start. I don't wanna start with my own c++ module.
I no longer slave for"work for" xelu.
Lua is not an acronym.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

SiENcE wrote:Can you say some bit about the steam integration and how you did it? I also plan todo it and currently i don't know where to start. I don't wanna start with my own c++ module.
Look into CapsAdmin's Steam stuff for Lua: https://github.com/CapsAdmin/goluwa/tre ... ries/steam (he's on IRC as well). There's no need to add anything to love's source.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

slime wrote:
SiENcE wrote:Can you say some bit about the steam integration and how you did it? I also plan todo it and currently i don't know where to start. I don't wanna start with my own c++ module.
Look into CapsAdmin's Steam stuff for Lua: https://github.com/CapsAdmin/goluwa/tre ... ries/steam (he's on IRC as well). There's no need to add anything to love's source.
Not that I know for sure or not but what if terms and conditions prevents you from using that? (Idk how it would tho) but I am sure the move or die team knew about CapsAdmin's stuff. I know that the people behind Collider knew about it too and their repo does not have that module either. (I have access)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

bobbyjones wrote:Not that I know for sure or not but what if terms and conditions prevents you from using that?
They don't. Move or Die also uses a fork of LÖVE 0.9.1 (which was released 2 years ago), I suspect their code for interacting with Steam was started quite some time ago.
farzher
Prole

Post by farzher »

SiENcE wrote:How do you do Steam integration?
I work on Pocket Rumble (another Löve game now on Steam!)
We asked the same question to one of the Move or Die developers (sorry I forget who, I wasn't the one talking with him)
Anyway, he was super helpful, thanks a ton!

How move or die did it:
extended love, wrote steamworks c++ code in love, rebuild love exposing a custom steam object to lua

Code: Select all

steam.unlockAchievement('whatever')
How we did it:
made our own steam wrapper .dll that that has c++ steamworks code in it, used it via ffi

Code: Select all

local ffi = require("ffi")
local steamDLL = ffi.load("my_steamworks")
steamDLL.unlockAchievement('whatever')
I know that won't solve all the steamworks confusion, but I hope it helps give a starting point
(best tip for writing the c++ steam code is to copy paste from the example game they provide you with)
butts
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

@farzher thanks for providing this informations.

@slime Yes, using an FFI integration was also my first intention. Go goluwa seems to be the right place to start, but it seems to be not a walk in the park.
Madrayken
Party member

Post by Madrayken »

This looks really cool, and encourages me to plonk Spellrazor on Steam.

One quick question: did you bother to get your game 'signed' as an app and .exe to stop people's computers moaning 'Can't run this, as this file is from an unknown source,' style message? Or does Steam magically make that go away?
Discord: https://discord.gg/tYfHgXc
Bandcamp: https://madrayken.bandcamp.com/
Twitter: @Fluttermind
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Steam makes that go away.
If you put it on Steam please put up a Linux version as well (it's not a huge effort - there was something on github which wrapped everything in a shell script that you can also launch from Steam, but I can't find it right now :/).
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

WIll either of you publish your steamworks wrapper at some point?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Jack5500 wrote:WIll either of you publish your steamworks wrapper at some point?
I think it uses code which is protected by a NDA, so they won't be able to publish it, legally. I think.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster