Herbie & Jamal

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
coffee
Party member

Re: Herbie & Jamal

Post by coffee »

Thank you for the new level. Tested quickly a bit your updates.. Nice work on this large demo level. Knowing the actual limitations for now I didn't found nothing wrong.

Suggestions:
1 - Lasers don't seem lasers. Since aren't that usual vivid red beam or have transparency I thought first that were "spear traps".
2 - This time I forgot who is the one who rolls across holes so I keep pressing action button with blue guy without notice the message just because the action icon was there. I thought that removing from that char the "cross hole" icon could be an idea since is a not available action. However I understood later that indication is needed to call the other char there and don't need to use the tall one to find the passages. So, what about non-possible actions be with other color than the yellow (red, greyed?) or have an "X" over it?
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Jasoco wrote:I like how you use the same method Notch did in Prelude of the Chambered to store maps in image files. Guess it makes it easier to draw the maps, but harder to figure out which color does what unless you have a chart in PhotoShop or something.
I think it's a great way to do tile based maps if you don't want to make a map editor. We use this file for reference, and just select whatever tile we want with the color picker tool.
Loth4.png
Loth4.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 324 times
I'm still considering making a map editor. First of all to make it easier for Lukas to do maps, but also to make third party maps a posibility. It's just quite a lot of work.
Jasoco wrote:Also the lighting. How did you do it? How do you invert it so the solid pixels become transparent and the transparent ones are solid on screen? I noticed your lighting images were inverted.
The lighting was a quick hack that I hope to replace with something better later on. Here's how it works:
It first draws the two black circle-thingies to an almost white (#ebebeb) framebuffer. Yielding something like this:
6FGnN.png
6FGnN.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 324 times
The entire level is then drawn and at last the framebuffer is drawn on top of it all using subtractive blend mode:
oFsKK.png
oFsKK.png (13.31 KiB) Viewed 324 times
That way the black areas will subtract nothing from the original image, while the almost white areas will darken it almost completely.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

coffee wrote:Thank you for the new level. Tested quickly a bit your updates.. Nice work on this large demo level. Knowing the actual limitations for now I didn't found nothing wrong.

Suggestions:
1 - Lasers don't seem lasers. Since aren't that usual vivid red beam or have transparency I thought first that were "spear traps".
2 - This time I forgot who is the one who rolls across holes so I keep pressing action button with blue guy without notice the message just because the action icon was there. I thought that removing from that char the "cross hole" icon could be an idea since is a not available action. However I understood later that indication is needed to call the other char there and don't need to use the tall one to find the passages. So, what about non-possible actions be with other color than the yellow (red, greyed?) or have an "X" over it?
Very useful suggestions.
1. I've given the lasers a bit of transparency. Not sure if I want to make them thicker though, as sensor lasers are usually rather thin.
2. I'm definitely changing the icon for action a player cannot perform.

Thanks.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

SimonLarsen wrote:Not sure if I want to make them thicker though, as sensor lasers are usually rather thin.
Perhaps you can make it more thin if "compensate" with some red tone color animation.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

SimonLarsen wrote:<lighting stuff>
A very clever way of doing this, I must say!
When I write def I mean function.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Agreed. I never would have thought to use that method. It will work perfectly when I need lighting for my sidescroller and adventure engines later on down the road. I assume it needs to be either a solid pixel or a fully transparent one and partial transparency won't work. Canvases/FrameBuffer's don't seem to like partial transparency for some reason. Which sucks.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Partial transparency works fine in framebuffers/canvases AFAIK. If you want to do regular alpha blending you need the "premultiplied" blend mode when drawing them, which is available in LÖVE 0.8.0.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

Cool project. I like the art style but I can't get it to play. I mean, I don't know how to exit the very first house. I tried using the projector but it didn't work.
lukaserritsoe
Prole

Post by lukaserritsoe »

yeah for now you have to press "esc" and choose load level. The current playable level is titled "los"
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Hay-soos this looks rad. I wish I could play it but my onboard card doesn't support framebuffers.

I've done the image palette = tile method before. It's almost as big an ass-pain as editing text files! But still, good to see it works for someone.