Dye

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Dye

Post by TechnoCat »

tentus wrote:Also, we now have mouse input.
Yessssss :neko:
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Okie dokie, we have options (fullscreen and mute) along with variable difficulty. The difficulty is controlled by the number of colors used: by default you have 5, but you can go as low as 2 or as high as 9.

I'm debating about saving high scores to a text file. Does that seem excessive?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

tentus wrote:I'm debating about saving high scores to a text file. Does that seem excessive?
No, I like that. I never know whether the scores I get are relatively good or bad, in the current version.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Robin wrote:No, I like that. I never know whether the scores I get are relatively good or bad, in the current version.
Alright, high scores have been added. Well, more correctly, a form of high scores has been added: I still need to collect some actual high scores from you guys.

Also, various performance tweaks and some variable name cleanup. Please let me know if you find bugs! For example, I have switched to rendering the original random pattern to an image, and render the recolored squares on top of it: this ought to be a notable speed increase, but it may cause issues I'm not foreseeing.

Edit:
Found an overwrite bug in the saver class, and shifted some stuff around in the menus the be a bit clearer and more localized. Please update, and tell me you high scores!
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

It's been a day since anyone said anything, so I went ahead and tried out each available difficulty. The scores I made are the new default high scores.

I also did a bit of cleanup, PO2'd the prerendered grid, and did some general variable cleanup and commenting. I also added animation to the instructions overlay, but I'm considering removing it... it just feels like a lot of code that doesn't do much for the game.

Edit:
Added a high scores overlay, and some hidden extra key bindings (shh its a secret). I am considering adding a way of saving / loading specific levels.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Have you thought about a puzzle mode? Like levels that must be beaten in a certain number of turns.
iamwil
Prole

Post by iamwil »

Neat game! I've played these flood games before, and while they're not my fav, I appreciate that you've polished yours. I wonder if it would be interesting if you could play against an AI, and race to see how much territory you can get?
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

iamwil wrote:Neat game! I've played these flood games before, and while they're not my fav, I appreciate that you've polished yours. I wonder if it would be interesting if you could play against an AI, and race to see how much territory you can get?
Kadoba wrote:Have you thought about a puzzle mode? Like levels that must be beaten in a certain number of turns.
I've been working on a VS mode, but it's taking a lot more refactoring than I expected. If I can come up with some clever solutions I'll add it in, but bloat is becoming a problem.

In the meantime, I have added move limits (default is infinite moves), which meant adding a fail scene. I have also added the ability to save maps (and refactored the code a little so that the save files make sense) and load saved maps. For now, you can save maps by hitting F12, which will write the save file with the timestamp as the name.

Ooh, quick questions- when loading saved files, if the filename is just numbers and .lua, it works just fine, but if it had letters in it, I get a string concatenation error. Anyone know why?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

tentus wrote:Ooh, quick questions- when loading saved files, if the filename is just numbers and .lua, it works just fine, but if it had letters in it, I get a string concatenation error. Anyone know why?
Can you be a bit more specific? What part of your code errors? What error is it exactly? I have a vague idea, but I can't say for sure without more information.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Robin wrote: Can you be a bit more specific? What part of your code errors? What error is it exactly? I have a vague idea, but I can't say for sure without more information.
AHA, nevermind, I found it- I was missing a pair of quote marks. That explains everything.
Fixed version uploaded!