[LD20] It's Time

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
vrld
Party member

[LD20] It's Time

Post by vrld »

itstime.small.jpg
itstime.small.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
Everybody loves Zombies!

This is my entry for the 20th Ludum Dare. I did not finish what I set out to do: Six hours before the submission deadline I noticed there weren't any levels or stuff and programming the level editor took way more time than estimated. I will continue to work on this when the time comes.

Controls:
Arrow keys to move, Tab to select a gun from the weapon stack, Space to shoot the equipped gun (autoselecting the gun was one feature that would have been implemented after the level was finished :roll:).

I also made a timelapse video of almost the whole thing:
Attachments
itstime.love
(178.51 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: [LD20] It's Time

Post by Lafolie »

This is pretty neat! I love the type, reminds me of Salad Fingers, which is awesome.

Couple of things to consider next time you work on it: the way bullets are handled sucks. They move too slow and check their x position only, so it's possible for them to move past a target. The guys that follow you could do with trailing you at a distance based on which follower they are. E.g. #1 will stay 30px behind you, #2 30px behind him etc. There's a bug in the jumping physics where colliding with something and jumping makes you leap really high.

's a neat little demo though, I enjoyed it. Though I was hoping for some kind basic ending.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BarnD
Prole

Post by BarnD »

lol Lafolie, what do you expect from a game that was made in 48 hours.

I cant play it (no frame buffer support), but the screenshot looks awesome.
I also found it on Ludum Dare the other day, because I half participated but then dropped out due to my suckyness of making games sill. So I was still looking at the other games that where made.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

BarnD wrote:lol Lafolie, what do you expect from a game that was made in 48 hours.
They're just suggestions man. I wouldn't complain about something that was made in 48 hours. Man, this is cool I think he did a good job.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BarnD
Prole

Post by BarnD »

Lafolie wrote:They're just suggestions man. I wouldn't complain about something that was made in 48 hours. Man, this is cool I think he did a good job.
Yeah (Probably better than i can make in a week) :ehem:
(Also, I shouldent read things when its late and im this tired) :|
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

Lafolie wrote:the way bullets are handled sucks. They move too slow and check their x position only, so it's possible for them to move past a target.
Actually, both x and y coordinates are checked, but it turns out that hardoncolliders Shape:intersectsRay() does not work as expected...
Lafolie wrote:The guys that follow you could do with trailing you at a distance based on which follower they are.
They do that already, but I would like them to "swarm" around a little bit, and flee from zombies and stuff.
Lafolie wrote:There's a bug in the jumping physics where colliding with something and jumping makes you leap really high.
It's a feature :roll:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Oh right, hehe. What I talking about with the bullets is that they check their new x pos and nothing else. So if you fire right next to the enemy, the bullet travels some and passes through the enemy. Let the very first one push you back against the wall and it's impossible to kill it.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

This is awesome. I liked the video quite a lot, too.

Did you use any kind of add-on for making the animations on Gimp? At some points they look "animated".
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Awesome, especially those letters!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

nice graphics and sound. The video was also interessting.
So if you fire right next to the enemy, the bullet travels some and passes through the enemy. Let the very first one push you back against the wall and it's impossible to kill it.
happend to me on first play :death:
But did not feel like the bullets moved too slow.

At some point one (or possible multiple zombies) got somehow stuck and and their sprites would flicker while changing direction very quickly.

Is there a way to restart from the gameover screen? If so, I did not find it.

Was a nice surprise to find the shotgun guys, did not expect that.

I guess you have lots of ideas yourself but I would like more vertical gameplay instead of just walking forward.
Not jump'n'run like mario, that would not fit the game. But just some variation: ladders, standing on furniture etc.
Maybe headshots could deal more damage? (can aim for head by jumping or standing on slopes etc)